Search the forum,

Discuss loctite 55 or hemp on shower mixer valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

ojchurch

Hi, first post so I'm sure this has been covered but couldn't find through searches.

I'm fitting a shower thermostatic mixer valve. Its got female 3/4" threaded connections, I've got male 3/4" to 15mm compression fittings. The compression side is fine just not sure whether to use loctite 55 or hemp. I think I saw on one post that you couldn't use hemp on water pipes apart from heating because of microbe growth or something. Is this rubbish? Also like to know which people think is best and why. Might as well use the best method I can to hopefully avoid leaks.

I'm a sparks by trade (queue jokes) so if I've missed some obvious info let me know. Or if this has been well covered in another thread if you could point me in the right direction that'd be great.

Cheers in advance.
Olly.

Just use PTFE tape.

I don't think I've fitted a shower valve with 3/4" BSP threads before, what make is it?

well i have never had a problem with loctite most threads is use it on , it also depends if your planning to drink the water from your shower head

Hi ojchurch and welcome:) its a personal preference thing mines ptfe regards turnpin

it also depends if your planning to drink the water from your shower head

Or drink the water from other taps connected to the same pipe runs throughout which particles could be free to travel.

And yeah ..are they 3/4" tails?

Just use PTFE tape.

I don't think I've fitted a shower valve with 3/4" BSP threads before, what make is it?

The shower I fitted came with bsp connectors. I ditched the connectors and bought a showerpl8te that the shower bar sust screwed onto with a rubber washer.

Just discovered locktite 55 after using ptfe for donkeys years.

It's funny stuff, not what I first thought (rolled up ptfe) but tiny fibres that are coated with a jointing compound.

I've had no problems with it thus far. I do over kill on it though...it says 6 turns on a 1/2 inch thread. Doesn't sound like enough to me, so I bung on about 12.

I've always used ptfe on shower unions. You'll be fine with that. Just remember to apply it in a clockwise direction. Good luck.

loctite 55 is great stuff been using it ages now , bloody expensive but reliabe , will also allow you to turn back slightly if turned too far on first go , ptfe will let you down if turned back . hemp can only be used on heating as far as i know , but is messy and smelly as my wife used to tell me as i walked in through front door !

I'm a '55 convert! People say it's expensive, but I get it for £2.50 for a 50m roll. At a worst-case scenario of 10 turns on a 1/4" pipe, that's about 100 joints, or 2.5p per joint! That may be more expensive than PTFE, but I've *never* had any weep from it, and with the added advantage that you can tuen back about 1/4 turn without any problems if necessary. It seems to be the best of hemp and ptfe - a fibrous material that swells coated with a PTFE-like compound. Marvellous!

I'm sure this ground has been covered before though....

loctite 55 is great stuff been using it ages now , bloody expensive but reliabe , will also allow you to turn back slightly if turned too far on first go , ptfe will let you down if turned back . hemp can only be used on heating as far as i know , but is messy and smelly as my wife used to tell me as i walked in through front door !

Hi thanks everyone for many useful bits of info. Not sure of make my girlfriend found it at an ebay shop, I know sounds dodgy. UK based shop though.

I went with loctite cord in the end. It has worked a treat. Used it for the for the compression elbow to smaller than 3/4" female thread (didn't take note) where chrome shower pipe comes out to feed the shower head. As aceplumber said allowed me to turn back to get level vertically (the pipe has a bend in it).

Only problem is I think I've tightened a couple of the compression nuts up to tight, I'm getting a very slight weep. I've spent most of the week bending and putting boxes on 25mm galv conduit at work. I think the best advice I've read on here is do them up turn it on and if there's a leak tighten a bit more. Does this sound right? I guess it's something you just get used to?

Cheers again everyone, much appreciated.
Olly.

I think the best advice I've read on here is do them up turn it on and if there's a leak tighten a bit more. Does this sound right?

If you've already tightened a fitting quite a bit (more than, say 3/4 turns for a 15mm unit) I would advise undoing it and appying PTFE tape to the olive before re-assembling. It's fairly unlikely, but putting the brass fittings under too much pressure might lead to them failing (cracking) whereas a dab of PTFE or paste should seal them up OK.

And yes, you do just get used to it :)

I've treated myself to a tube of fernox LS-X good stuff turns into a kind of silicone can be applied when wet it get better when you spray it with water it was great but only tried it on a few joints. £4.00 50ml pricey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to loctite 55 or hemp on shower mixer valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock