Search the forum,

Discuss Indirect cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Quiz

Yesterday I changed a 2 port valve to my indirect vented cylinder.
The fault was boiler noisy and boiling water coming out of the vent into the F&E Vessel.
There was a lot of debri sitting in the top of the valve. The pipework continued to the bottom entry to the indirect coil.
Initially every thing worked well.
However, now the fault has returned.
My thoughts are that there is more debri.
My question is this,how far would the debri have travelled? could it have gone through the coil, or is it likely to not go uphill?
Next question is should I try to clean it or just go somewhere (where) for a new cylinder and swap it over.

About me.... I am a "Plumber". By that I mean I did a 12 week training course 5 months ago and got the 6129 c&g. I won't be a real "Plumber" till I have had a few years experience and probably a few disasters. I just don't want this to be one of them as my Missus will never forgive me
So, hoover the pipes? or get another cylinder?

Gary.

Try re draining system to valve,remove and see if any more debre has collected at valve ,also check inside pump and valves,if so clean out and refill system applying some chemical cleaner,let run hot for a week and flush through

I should add that this fault only occurs when the hot water is on and not central heating. If the heating is on and firing the boiler the system runs well. So the blockage is somewhere between the hot water 2 port valve and the boiler.

Try re draining system to valve,remove and see if any more debre has collected at valve ,also check inside pump and valves,if so clean out and refill system applying some chemical cleaner,let run hot for a week and flush through
Thanks Puddle!
Does the chemical cleaner break down solid matter? what I saw looked like rust.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am having similar problems with mine and recently i have started getting hot water from my cold tap - It could be that the pipes are close together and the hot tap is heating the cold but this has only been happening recently. I can forever hear a splurge of overflow into my hotwater tank.

I dont want to go off subject mate but since you did your course have you found any work. Was it hard.

Still check above .also could be blockage at pipework tee were hot water return joins heating return if near boiler

I am having similar problems with mine and recently i have started getting hot water from my cold tap - It could be that the pipes are close together and the hot tap is heating the cold but this has only been happening recently. I can forever hear a splurge of overflow into my hotwater tank.

I dont want to go off subject mate but since you did your course have you found any work. Was it hard.

Yours could be a split coil in your cylinder?

I have had work yes, more days off than on though. Mostly fitting extra rads and vent pipe alterations (extra height). Some toilet and loft tank float valves.
I have not found it hard though no. Just enjoyable mostly, I used to work in a factory and it is nice to be 'out and about'.

Still check above .also could be blockage at pipework tee were hot water return joins heating return if near boiler

Not near boiler, but thank's I'll check that.

yours is the main tank not the heating header tank ,possible faulty boiler thermostat

Hi there sorry to crash the subject - my cistern is a combination with emersion back up .

268.gif
This is what its like...

It looks like this obviously -
direct&indirect-combi.jpg

We have had this sytem for years well before we moved in 7 years ago, The trouble only started recently. The hot water in the cold tap doesnt last long before it runs cold but it has never happend in recent years. There seems to be a lot of spluttering noises in to the top tank.. The pipes are forever creaking and clanging... Also it runs of a baxi gasfire backboiler that seems to be making cracking noises.. I have decidd to turn the heating and water off at night because of all the storys you hear.. do you think it is the coil?

no,it sounds like the the boiler thermostat
this will require replacing,until then try turning it down to try to compensate for the calibration malfunction of thermostat

I turned it down a while back to about 35-40 because an engineer came out and wacked it up to about 70 the water was almost boiling and the house was ridicously hot

Did that, also took connections off the coil, both sides, and hoovered out with wet n dry all open ends.

Re-filled and before too long, same old whooooshing sound and boiling water into F&E.
I am now thinking it could be an inefficient pump, after all, that debri had to go through the pump to sit on the 2 port valve???
If I turn the boiler stat right down, it does not happen. But then the water and rads do not get hot enough.

Well do not think is pump,as you say system works ok when heating is on and problem only when hot water on by itself,so does point to a restriction somewere on hot water circuit
This time of year does not matter if heating on,so if you can not find restriction, would put chemical cleaner in system and run round heating and hot water curcuit for a few days then try through hot water only see if any improvement and go fron there
Take it you have checked pull side of pump and valve to make sure not blocked/restricted

That sounds good advice, pump only 5 years old. It is a little noisy when hot though.
I might do both,ie. flush with chemical for a few days and then put a new pump in when I flush the chemical out.

Flushing /Cleaning fluid has been in for 3 days now. Still noisy when water only.
Someone suggested I put in a thermo relief valve, after the pump but before the 2 port and then stab back in before the T in point to the return to the boiler.
Will this help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Indirect cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock