Discuss humming noise to toilet cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dsgas

humming noise from rising main when toilet is flushed and cistern is filling.worcester 30 cdi is the combi boiler that serves the heating.15 mm pipe work to cistern.it quietens a bit when you run cold tap.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey it sounds like pipe hammer
this is the ball valve diaphram washer whitch is easy to repair just turn water off split ball valve and you will see a black rubber washer just replace this make sure its the corect way and bobs your uncle job done if struggling to split the ball valve just change the hole ballvalve its sometimes easer and quicker

Hmm!

The noise can be many things of course, water hammer can also show itself in many ways. So once again its guessing time.

First off! Has the noise just started? If so what has changed? new taps? water company increased mains pressure? loose pipes? and so on.

What causes water hammer is explained by good old Mr Newton and that is for every action there is an equal reaction.

So if you stop a stream of water suddenly instead of gradually slowing it down you get a backward force equal to the forward. And so it makes the pipes bang.

In the past, local water authorities insisted on screw down valves being used on their water mains as stop cocks for this very reason.

In other words unlike a quarter turn plug cock they never suddenly shut the water off causing water hammer back pressure.

Today however we have ball o flow valves, which are really fancy plug cocks at the inlet point of every appliance that is fed off the main.
The thing is they are not used very often except for servicing or repair, so its thought the problem isn't so great.

But we also have lever arm quarter turn ceramic disc taps that work exactly like a plug cock, so obviously if you have just fitted a pair of these, have a look if they are causing problems elsewhere. They are usually popular with older people if they have arthritis or anybody who just prefers an easy tap to turn on and off. I personally like them.

What also a hum, which doesn't sound anything like a bang, can be, is due to the same thing.

In a cistern the speed and force of water causes minute waves on the top of the water, which makes the ball float valve open and close very rapidly which can make humming noises that is why Feltham suggested changing the washers as a first cheapest step.

Even worn washers and worn stop tap spindles can do the same. Not to mention loose pipes

There are loads of things that can make a pipe hum and also a variety of things you can do about it.

And if you can find out exactly where it seems to be coming from, then perhaps people can help a bit better with possibly a little bit more knowledge about your system.

But I would say try the cheapest things first, it would do no harm changing the ball valve washer, as they are only about 10p each or should be.:):)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Feltham, especially if it only happens when the WC is flushed and is re-filling. The first thing to check is the washer in the float valve in the WC.

Mark

Hahaaa! Handel's Water Music, I wish it was! I have just, today, started to have the same problem from my NEW cistern, after having problems for a couple of months, with the water continually flowing after flushing, unless I hold the button down for around 20 seconds. is this all the same problem?

holythreadrevival.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to humming noise to toilet cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Hi, I've got a leak coming from the loft into a bedroom which I think is caused by water overflow from feed and expansion cistern (see attached...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock