Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Help with RCBO'S !!??!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

H1661n5

Please can you help me answer the following:
1) Where would I find RCBO's on an electrical circuit.
2) Are RCBO’s the same as RCD’s and if not why not??
Any help is appreciated !!

Hi H1661n5
Heres some info i have found for you regarding rcbo's and rcd's
RCBO'S will be in the distribution board and will have it marked on the breaker itself that it is a rcbo and what rating etc it is.

For example, a 100A 30mA RCD will trip if the difference between the load on the Phase conductors (Live and neutral) exceeds 30mA or if a 30mA or higher current is detected on the CPC (Earth). Further, if the total load being drawn through the RCD exceeds it's maximum rating, then the RCD will trip and disconnect the circuit.

However, and this is where many people get confused by this, a standard RCD does this by electronic determination of the load current via the detection circuitry unlike the MCB's and RCBO's. The torus forming the heart of the RCD has a small detection circuit attached to it via an op amp. The magnetic field detected by this circuit is carefully measured and if it exceeds a certain thresh-hold, as determined by the maximum load rating, then it will disconnect the circuit

To clarify this, RCBO's combine the operation of the MCB and the RCD into one unit. The RCD part operates in exactly the same way as the standard RCD, however for overload protection the RCBO contains magnetic or thermal trips, in good quality units, such as MK, Merlin-Gerin and Hager, the RCBO contains BOTH thermal and magnetic trips, just as an MCB does.

It is these differences that dictate the use of such devices. RCBO's are used to protect individual circuits that need that extra level of safety, but overload protection is still a vitally important aspect, whereas RCD's are useful, in certain circumstances, for replacing Isolators in Consumer units, Distribution Boards etc where effective disconnection may be required in an emergency or for maintenance etc, but overload protection is not required.

I hope this clarifies the difference between these devices, a proper understanding of the devices will certainly help to determine their proper use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with RCBO'S !!??!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello All, New to the forum so apologies if do any faux pas. But I have an Aqalisa Electric Quartz Shower 9.5kw (8 years old) and currently it...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has...
Replies
Views
Some advice would be very much appreciated. Our Gloworm Ultracom 38CXI combi boiler recently developed a few issues. Recently some our...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock