Discuss Help! Central heating works but hot water doesn't! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

2815davidtester

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but hopefully there is someone out there who may be able to help.

Our central heating is working fine but our hot water supply is not working as it should. Over the last few days it has become less and less warm, to the point this evening that it was too tepid to put our kids in for their pre-bedtime bath.

The boiler works fine, the heating seems warm as usual and there doesn't seem to be any interruption on the supply. The water comes out in same quantity, but the warm has been getting progressively cooler.

On checking the tank in the cupboard, all the pipes leading up to it are scaldingly hot, but 10-15 cm away from the tank they are cool.

We have an oil fired Boulter Camray Compact boiler which seems perfectly in order, if a little old. It is firing properly on the timer and on demand.

Having spoken with a friend, I have checked the tank thermostat, turning it from cool to hot, but cannot hear any click. The same friend recommended turning off the heating and turning on the hot water. This I have done, and the pipe into the tank seems to have warmed up now.

Can anyone shed any light on what the problem might be?

Also, can anyone recommend a reliable heating engineer/plumber in the Waterlooville/Portsmouth area?

Think it may be one of two problems, cylinder stat is not working or you have a 2/3 port valve issue.

You need to get an electrical tester to test whether the cylinder stat is calling for heat when its required. Also check whether the two/three port valve is working.

This should isolate what is at fault then replace the broken bit

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou ever so much for the quick reply and advice.

Only problem is, I'm not entirely sure what you are talking about! Should I therefore get an expert in, or can you give me a translation into basic laymans English?

If you hang about I'm sure someone here can explain things a bit clearer than I have but in fairness I'd consider getting someone in to repair it. The problem is if you have no idea (not wanting to be insulting) even if you get the information you may struggle replacing the part thats broken.

You're right, I don't have a good enough knowledge of the system. I have a basic knowledge and am reasonably competent, so I was hoping that it was a case of simply replacing an easily identifiable part. Thanks for your help anyway, I'll see if there is input from anywhere else and start looking for a suitable plumber.

sounds like a 2/3port(zone) valve issue to me aswell,it will look like this or similar , but i would advise getting a competent person in to change it definately .
zone_valve.jpg

thankyou, I recognise the part in the picture but it's beyond my ability. I'll get someone in!

Hi. If the system is filled with water via a small cistern which may well be in roof space? Check that the ball valve is working (it may be stuck in off position ) if so give it a shake, If it starts running water? give it a few minuets and check result on heating/hot water system. Good Luck

He has plenty of water to taps, so its not the cistern. The problem is that its just not getting hot, so something somewhere is not allowing to c/h water to pass through the coil in the cylinder, either a 2/3 port valve is not operating or the cylinder stat is knackered not sending the message to the port valves telling them to open. OR there's a blockage which sounds closer to it to me as you say the water has been getting cooler and cooler for a while now. Slow flow i think, could now be completely blocked in the coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help! Central heating works but hot water doesn't! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock