Search the forum,

Discuss Help Boiler Condemned in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John H

Hi i need some advice, i have just had my Baxi Bermuda back boiler serviced, and the engineer after sericing the unit switched on the fire and done a test with a smoke stick and said the flue was not venting. He left the fire on for at least ten mins and tried the test again several times, then said there is a problem with the flue and switched every thing off and put a condemned notice on the fire.
The engineer said i could either get the flue replaced or have a new boiler fitted, which would probably be better as the back boiler i have is nearly 30 yrs old. The problem i have is that he said about fitting the new boiler in the LOFT ?, which seemed very odd as the houses next door either side have had new boilers fitted in their airing cupboard where the imersion tank was. i have mobility problems so the loft idea would cause me problems.
Any advice gratefully received.
Cheers John.

Your engineer obviously doesn't know much about back boilers :rolleyes:.

A Bermuda firefront should be tested for spillage with the case off and by inserting a smoke match into the edge of the draught divertor.

Get him back to do it properly or get someone who knows what they are doing.

Sorry I did not explain properly, he did have the front of the fire off, and he did light a stick he put in a peice of pipe. What concerns me most is about installing a new boiler in the loft ?. also what type of boiler should i be looking for, a combi, regular or system.

Cheers John H

I should have been more clear. The smoke match gets inserted to the boiler draught divertor.

If you have mobility problems do not even consider putting the boiler in the loft. As for which type it depends what you require really.
1 bathroom house go for a combi, it will be cheaper to run. If you have more bathrooms or just like a tank of water get a regular or a system.
An installer would explain your best options.
Do not be talked into fitting it in the loft as you (or a friend or neighbour) will need to get up there at some point.

Don't install it in the loft unless you have to. We have to accept that eventually all boilers will need comprehensive work, or replacing.

If your place is quite small, I'd go for a combination. The general concencus is Worcester Bosch and Vailant as best manufacturers.

If your place is larger go for a regular boiler, and ask about options for siting it. Don't get bullied, there are lots of engineers out there who will endevour to put it in a place that best suits you.

John H, you could let us know your location, i am sure someone on hear will be in the area at some point and could help you out, good luck

Hi, i live in Milto Keynes, the neighbours either side of me have had their boilers replaced over the years, and they have been put in their airing cupboard, and had their emersion heater removeed.

Cheers John H

Airing cupboard is potentially gonna cost more for flue if going vertical
Loft is gonna cost more for pipe and has access issues
Both locations can have boilers fitted and you sound like you want it in the airing, phone the guy back and ask for a quote for both options he wont mind (or shouldnt)
Can he get to a drain from the airing ?

Hi again, the airing cupboard goes to an outside wall, which is probably why the neighbours have it in there, it is also next to the bathroom.
The company have come back to me with a quote of £2,800. for a Valliant Combi boiler, is this good or should i seek other quotes as well.

Cheers John H.

Hi, always get 2 or 3 Quotes.
If it's a combi find out what size it is [kilowatts]

Valliant are very good, the more powerful the more hot water flow.
ie 28 kw gives approx 11-12 litres / min
35 kw 13.5 - 14.5 l/m
These are with a 35 C temp rise

The price goes up with the KW, but you get better hot water performance.
Don't worry about your radiators, they will be ok, unless your house hasn't many, ask their advice.

Also ask if they are an approved valliant installer as you should get 5 years warranty instead of 2. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help Boiler Condemned in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock