Discuss Glow-worm 240/246 back boiler unit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thumbsup

I have a Glow-worm 240/246 back-boiler unit regularly serviced and inspected by a gas safe and previously a corgi engineer. The boiler has been trouble free and reliable for years.
A few days ago lack of heat and warmth of hot water noticed. It fires up but it is producing only Luke warm hot water and similar temperature at the radiators now .
The main burner fires up normal initially, gradually reduces to about a quarter within 2-3 minutes and some of the flame can be seen blowing downwards at burner of the unit. In addition it produces unusual sneezing-like noise!
Has the boiler reached on its final legs or is this fault repairable? Any advice from the fellow members would be appreciated.
The gas fire part works fine.

yes it is repairable ,if the boiler is not staying on long you will not get hot water or heating , these boilers should be serviced on a regular bases , most of the parts are still available to my knowledge, it sounds like there could be an issue with the burner

The boiler stays on, its thermostat controls it but its main burner's flame decreases and the flames points downward which can be seen at the bottom of the back boiler. It produces some unusual noises. The boiler does not distinguish its flame but water does not heat up to max! The noise is similar to the noise heard in very stormy and windy conditions. The chimney is equipped with a flue liner.

Thanks gasmarc for your honest and kind advice.
The problem has been resolved by clearing its flueways in the boiler's baffle. I struggled to find an engineer who serviced it as most of the engineers who attended were only interested to scrap it.

well the engineer who did the repair is worth holding onto and pass his name round all your friends and colleagues, experienced engineers are hard to get (as you know) so treat him well and look after him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Glow-worm 240/246 back boiler unit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys, I've got a Glow-worm Ultimate 30c making really loud banging, clanging noises when operating DHW and just after closing it. Apparently it...
Replies
Views
I need advice on my boiler please. My Combi boiler has started making a really loud ‘scraping’ type sound when the hot water is running. It...
Replies
Views
Hello all! Seeking opinions/advice on how to handle an idea from a client of mine, I wonder if anyone else has come across this before? One...
Replies
Views
D
First time posting on here and I am after some help and advice on a project I have ongoing at home - a bit cheeky I know but as they say around...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I have recently fitted a new bathroom, to install the towel radiator i had to drain the central heating with a hose pipe connected to a...
Replies
Views
julesverne
J
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock