Search the forum,

Discuss Easy way of working out a system volume ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BogBeast

Hi all.

I want to give my central heating system a dose of cleaner. Host of the the cleaners I look at spec and mount of cleaner per system volume.

How do you estimate the capacity of a system? I have a mix of UFH and 7 rads spread out over a bungalow. I have no idea how much water is in it to put in the correct dose of cleaner and then inhibitor?

Or does it really matter? I guess it might be better to put more cleaner in, I am assuming it wont damage anything other than my wallet ?

Thanks

Rule of thumb i think in ten rad system = 100 litres. New rads are lower water content, not sure about ufh though

Mr combi has an ap where you input the radiator sizes and it'll give you a volume

Be careful when cleaning older systems. Some systems have copper pipework which is thin wall and susceptible to pin-hole leaks. Thin-wall can be easily identified because it is marked with a red stripe running down the outside walls of the pipe. Thus the type of cleaner is important, along with calculating the volume and after-treatment of the make-up water. If you fail to flush out the cleaner properly, this may lead to a high-ph in the system leading to the liquid becoming an aggressive electrolyte, causing on-going electrolytic corrosion leading to sludge and the build up of magnetite - radiators can also become prone to pin-holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Easy way of working out a system volume ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, First Post on here. I am hoping someone can help with the below. I have mounted 2 new rads to a recent extention we have had. The rads are not connected up to the heating system which is a combi fed system. I thought it would be good practice to clean, flush, refill and use an...
Replies
Views
I have a Vaillant eco plus 837, year installed 2008. It works well. We have one large zone for the house with 13 rads running off it. We also have an UFH zone in the kitchen. Near the boiler I have 2 port valves which control this part of the system. The boiler has been loosing pressure...
Replies
Views
L
Hey everyone, I'll keep it short. Had our old system boiler replaced with a new Ideal system boiler set up. Then the problems began. First issue was the pump went faulty, so the pump was replaced. This then led to a new issue coming up where the central heating would work, but not the hot...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I have a WorcesterBosch Greenstar 42CDi classic combi, which is providing DHW fine, but not heating. Was working fine in spring, probably not been used until recently now it's colder. When heating is called for, the boiler fires up ok but soon shuts down the heater as the...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are having PV panels fitted which will dump the excess energy into our hot water tank. Our house originally had a large 210L economy7 hot water tank (cold tank in loft), but the hot water tank died 18 years ago. At that time we fitted a smaller 117litre tank and went for fitting electric...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock