Search the forum,

Discuss Is this changed domestic hot water system design going to work ok? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

We are having PV panels fitted which will dump the excess energy into our hot water tank. Our house originally had a large 210L economy7 hot water tank (cold tank in loft), but the hot water tank died 18 years ago. At that time we fitted a smaller 117litre tank and went for fitting electric showers to reduce the hot water usage, and its been ok.

But now with fitting PV I'm thinking a larger tank is the way to go, especially as I want to dump the electric showers and go for mixer shower in the main and ensuite bathrooms to make use of the PV heated water. I'm fairly certain the smaller tank wont cut it (4 adults, 10 min shower each at 6L per minute is 240L. A 50% cold mix would take 120L out of a 117L tank!)

I was intending that the 210L hot tank would only use the lower immersion heater position. The immersion heater would be fed by the solar (iboost) diverter combined with the standard immersion heater feed (the non economy7 feed). I would then put the standard immersion heater feed on a time switch to use the economy7 rates. Hopefully this would allow the solar to heat the tank during the day and then be topped up by the economy7 at night when required, and that this arrangement would fully service the house for showers and washing up etc.

Any thoughts or comments, on the merits or flaws of this design really appreciated before I shell out my money!

Regards
nick

Yes that would work in my opinion not a expert in solar but I have worked on a few and fitted some . Just make sure you use good quality products and heat proof cables some immersion heaters are not very good quality . Kop

Reply to Is this changed domestic hot water system design going to work ok? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

After some advice, i have recently had solar panels fitted and have an Eddi which uses the energy we generate to heat the cylinder using the immersion heater. Just wondering if there are any devices that can circulate the hot water in the cylinder so the immersion heater heats all the water...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my bathroom, and according to the plumber who fitted the new taps, high-pressure taps were fitted. Consequently, the water from taps is of a low volume...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is unvented and pressurised. The cold water feed into this cylinder is from the attic tank, not the mains as I turned off the mains stopcock to see if hot...
Replies
Views
hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn back and it repeats itself. had boiler checked and told it was the expansion vessel. Had the expansion vessel drained and recharged. plumber told me...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock