Discuss Easy way of working out a system volume ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BogBeast

Hi all.

I want to give my central heating system a dose of cleaner. Host of the the cleaners I look at spec and mount of cleaner per system volume.

How do you estimate the capacity of a system? I have a mix of UFH and 7 rads spread out over a bungalow. I have no idea how much water is in it to put in the correct dose of cleaner and then inhibitor?

Or does it really matter? I guess it might be better to put more cleaner in, I am assuming it wont damage anything other than my wallet ?

Thanks

Rule of thumb i think in ten rad system = 100 litres. New rads are lower water content, not sure about ufh though

Mr combi has an ap where you input the radiator sizes and it'll give you a volume

Be careful when cleaning older systems. Some systems have copper pipework which is thin wall and susceptible to pin-hole leaks. Thin-wall can be easily identified because it is marked with a red stripe running down the outside walls of the pipe. Thus the type of cleaner is important, along with calculating the volume and after-treatment of the make-up water. If you fail to flush out the cleaner properly, this may lead to a high-ph in the system leading to the liquid becoming an aggressive electrolyte, causing on-going electrolytic corrosion leading to sludge and the build up of magnetite - radiators can also become prone to pin-holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Easy way of working out a system volume ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a Vaillant eco plus 837, year installed 2008. It works well. We have one large zone for the house with 13 rads running off it. We also...
Replies
Views
L
Hey everyone, I'll keep it short. Had our old system boiler replaced with a new Ideal system boiler set up. Then the problems began. First...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I have a WorcesterBosch Greenstar 42CDi classic combi, which is providing DHW fine, but not heating. Was working fine in spring...
Replies
Views
Hello, I wonder how to put Fernox cleaners from normal bottle to Fernox Omega filter. I do not want to use by radiator and it does not work with...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in Sweden and find it interesting that it seems to be more common to clean heating systems with cleaners. Not many people in Sweden...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock