Search the forum,

Discuss Is this changed domestic hot water system design going to work ok? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

We are having PV panels fitted which will dump the excess energy into our hot water tank. Our house originally had a large 210L economy7 hot water tank (cold tank in loft), but the hot water tank died 18 years ago. At that time we fitted a smaller 117litre tank and went for fitting electric showers to reduce the hot water usage, and its been ok.

But now with fitting PV I'm thinking a larger tank is the way to go, especially as I want to dump the electric showers and go for mixer shower in the main and ensuite bathrooms to make use of the PV heated water. I'm fairly certain the smaller tank wont cut it (4 adults, 10 min shower each at 6L per minute is 240L. A 50% cold mix would take 120L out of a 117L tank!)

I was intending that the 210L hot tank would only use the lower immersion heater position. The immersion heater would be fed by the solar (iboost) diverter combined with the standard immersion heater feed (the non economy7 feed). I would then put the standard immersion heater feed on a time switch to use the economy7 rates. Hopefully this would allow the solar to heat the tank during the day and then be topped up by the economy7 at night when required, and that this arrangement would fully service the house for showers and washing up etc.

Any thoughts or comments, on the merits or flaws of this design really appreciated before I shell out my money!

Regards
nick

Yes that would work in my opinion not a expert in solar but I have worked on a few and fitted some . Just make sure you use good quality products and heat proof cables some immersion heaters are not very good quality . Kop

Reply to Is this changed domestic hot water system design going to work ok? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock