Discuss Drilling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sanke

Hi
Following on from Plausanes great post "Hints & Tips" I have a question for the more experienced of you. When drilling through a wall say 350mm thick how do you ensure that you are level & square (I recently did this and was an inch out by the time I got to the other side :mad::confused:)?
Steve

Hi
Following on from Plausanes great post "Hints & Tips" I have a question for the more experienced of you. When drilling through a wall say 350mm thick how do you ensure that you are level & square (I recently did this and was an inch out by the time I got to the other side :mad::confused:)?
Steve
practice

Also, before you pop off to the pub!

Instead of going through in one, check as you go so you can see if you need to tilt the drill in a particular direction. If it's a large diameter hole you could use a small drill bit for a pilot hole and see where it ends up.

Last edited by a moderator:
A pilot hole somewhere in the centre of the hole usually helps.

There is a dril on the market, but forgotten which one that has a built in level.

When I drilled my wall for the extract pipe

6375_96892837013_617362013_2068439_3233210_n.jpg

(This is the hole @ 80mm )

All I did was use the pilot drill in the middle to guide the crown into the brick. It was more by eye and a steady hand than anything else really.

I think that unless you have a clamping system to hold everything square then you will never be 100% accurate.

An inch seems a lot out ! - Maybe practice makes perfect. I think I was about a CM out on the exit. But it was for pipes so not critcal.

Hi. Providing the side you are drilling from is the correct position. Simply drill in say an 1" then check with a square against the wall and along the bit in both horizontal and vertical, adjust line of drill and continue. once you get it right for the first 4" it wont move from the line so keep drilling. Good Luck

Hi
Steve

Well if you use a 2" drill bit for now it will give you your 1" tolarance you need on the other side of the wall to put pipe/cable through level and as you get better with more experiance you can start to use smaller drill bit :D:D

whene ever possible i drill through the mortar between the bricks, the two bricks act as a guide and the drill finds its way out through the easist route, it also will blow less of the brick face off outside

if accuracy is that important,

get a 10mm masonary bit in a standard hammer drill, then mount into one of these and drill all the way in say 150mm. withdraw, then send in the big boy with 1/2'' bit straight thro as a pilot hole then drill to size.
to a couple of mill accuracy all the time.

Attachments

• ShowImage.jpg
    ShowImage.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Drilling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back