Search the forum,

Discuss do a favor so everyone can whine at you in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Puddle

Got a moody message from a landlord asking if I had broken the down stairs w/c when I did a boiler change the other day,or turned a power switch off to saniflow,as now not working and tenants screaming because can not use

I rang back up and explained I had not broken it but fixed it

After I had finished boiler,I had a wee and flushed,what a racket,like a jack hammer going,as you have guessed,ball valve washer was problem,just replaced and all nice a quite,never thought any thing about it as no one in,just left

Apparently it had been like that since landlord bought house 4 1/2 years ago and he had assumed it was a saniflow fitted

Once tenants found out that they could have quite w/c and flush without the hammering sound around the house after being there a year ,you would think they would be happy but no, now they think they should have compensation for having had to live with it,now landlord says I should have left as was,until new tenants moved in
Some times you just cannot win

Do'nt know if I should invoice extra for it,just to wind him up more,maybe wait till boiler change payment sorted first :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Know wnat you mean puddle.

Went to fit a sink for a joiner guy I know, the other day.System was combi.Shut off water to the boiler to do the job, and noticed f22(vaillant) flashing.Thought while i am stood right in front of boiler, I would top it up for the custard.Does job goes away..everyone happy.

Get a phone call that evening from a very irate homeowner.
"why did you top up my boiler?"
because it was low.
"I leave it that way on purpose so that my wife cannot put the heating on while I am out"

I could not believe my ears.

There are no pleasing some people.

you could tell him the damage he is doing to his system then

Was doing a boiler and saw customer nip out back door and lift push fit waste pipe upwards,wondered what he was doing,found pop up waste broken on bath,so when he wanted to fill,nipped outside,rain or shine,raised waste pipe up out side,then lowered to empty :)
Gave him a plug as a present,happy at the time,rang up a few weeks later and complained it was letting by slightly,think he thought I should go back and fit new pop up free for him,phone went dead for some reason :p

PLUMBING LESSON 1:

Never never never, do a bit of work as a favour! It is always going to bite you in the bum.

Charge the *******s for everything. If you do it for free, they will hold you responsible.

Psycology Lesson 1:

The type of customer who expects something for free, is usually a tosser. Any reasonable person EXPECTS to pay something.

Always be suspicious and expect the worst if you witneess the following:

- customer indicates that they want something doing for free.

- customer moans, before the job starts.

- customer is rude.

- the customer talks about doing plumbing themselves (warning bell!)

Always make sure everything is in writing. Last customer I had moaned beofre the job started. I thought here we go this one is trouble. Demanded 100% materials 50% labour before I started.

Lo and behold! - the basterd doesn't want to pay the whole bill, when the job is done . . . .

You woud have problems at our house,my lass moans at everything outside the bedoom!! :D

Know wnat you mean puddle.

Went to fit a sink for a joiner guy I know, the other day.System was combi.Shut off water to the boiler to do the job, and noticed f22(vaillant) flashing.Thought while i am stood right in front of boiler, I would top it up for the custard.Does job goes away..everyone happy.

Get a phone call that evening from a very irate homeowner.
"why did you top up my boiler?"
because it was low.
"I leave it that way on purpose so that my wife cannot put the heating on while I am out"

I could not believe my ears.

There are no pleasing some people.

Got a phone call at 9pm last night from this same guy.Apparantly he was doing some prep work for the plasterer who was coming today.He had drilled through the hot and cold water pipes...how? who the hell knows.

Anyway wanted me to go round last night to sort it out.

I love it when you have the power of saying......NO.

joys of working for yourself,had a so called nieghbour who any time a problem with boiler was straight over to me,any way come home one day bg van outside fitting new boiler,could,nt believe it,any way left at that,let on when we seen each other,then this winter gets a knock on door,boiler not working,
i was waiting for this, can you have look, yes no problem ,its a min charge ÂŁ65
his face was a picture,he had rang bg but they were bombed out 2 days before they could come,anyway frozen con pipe, quickist 65 i,ve made in while,strngley now does,nt knock on as much!

joys of working for yourself,had a so called nieghbour who any time a problem with boiler was straight over to me,any way come home one day bg van outside fitting new boiler,could,nt believe it,any way left at that,let on when we seen each other,then this winter gets a knock on door,boiler not working,
i was waiting for this, can you have look, yes no problem ,its a min charge ÂŁ65
his face was a picture,he had rang bg but they were bombed out 2 days before they could come,anyway frozen con pipe, quickist 65 i,ve made in while,strngley now does,nt knock on as much!

I had a similar senario me sen, feels good though don`t it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to do a favor so everyone can whine at you in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock