Discuss Cold water tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am about to replace an old water tank in the attic which feeds my hot water system.

Is it fine for me to use PE-X pipe instead of copper for the rising main to the tank? I need to replace this pipe as it is currently made out of lead. I'd prefer to use plastic if possible as then I can have a longer length without connections.

Also, does there need to be a vertical drop immediately from the tank outlet or can the outlet pipe be horizontal for 2m before dropping down?

i don`t see a problem with any of that, but take advice from an expert! But do make sure you have an effective stopcock on the supply main and decent valves on the down service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plastic pipe is prone to vermin attack ....personally I'd go copper and copper is available on a coil of varying length's to overcome your joint problem ....make sure whatever you choose to clip and insulate well.....regards Turnpin:D

Also, does there need to be a vertical drop immediately from the tank outlet or can the outlet pipe be horizontal for 2m before dropping down?
Outlet pipe needs to fall away from tank so air is not trapped but vertical drop unnecessary,

Plastic pipe is prone to vermin attack ....personally I'd go copper and copper is available on a coil of varying length's to overcome your joint problem ....make sure whatever you choose to clip and insulate well.....regards Turnpin:D

thats a good point, if you have mice/rats/glis glis/squirrels. And the insulation. Especially if you have a cold loft.

I just googled it. I can believe people actually eat dormice! :(

yeah not the native dormice though. these i think were released or escaped. not native species but apparently proliferating in some areas.

Just a little sidenote from SWG, the name dormouse comes from the French "dormir" meaning "to sleep", due to their hibernation habit. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah not the native dormice though. these i think were released or escaped. not native species but apparently proliferating in some areas.

Just a little sidenote from SWG, the name dormouse comes from the French "dormir" meaning "to sleep", due to their hibernation habit. :)

I also found out that they eat guinea pigs in Peru and Ecuador. I thought the Koreans and Chinese were bad eating dogs... People are sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold water tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

For reasons that I won't go into. Is it possible to control the water flow to a cold water header tank without having a ballcock in the header...
Replies
Views
Hi, I was hoping to get some advice. I live in a three floor house with a gravity fed cold water system for all of the bathrooms. The tank is in...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock