Discuss Closed off second lead pipe in kitchen in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MUZ50

Hi,

We live in a lower flat (one up/one down) and the mains water is delivered to both flats from a single on pavement stopcock. Our central heating system is fed from a tank above the boiler and I believe that this tank is fed from another tank in the upstairs flat's loft.

When running the hot water we can hear lots of bubbling/filling noises above us and also above the boiler where the water tank is. When we run the kitchen or bathroom cold water taps which are both fed from mains we get the same filling noise. As if the water to the cold taps if fed from the tank not from mains.

There is one lead pipe that feeds the cold water taps and another copper pipe feeding the hot water. There's also a closed off lead pipe.

I put my thumb on the cold water tap and I could stop the water from running. My wife is pregnant and we're worried that we could be drinking water from the boiler tanks/loft tanks not from the mains water. I am thinking may be the plumber has connected the wrong lead pipe.

I would greatly appreciate your help to find a solution to this.

many thanks in advance.

Muz

Attachments

• Closed off lead pipe.jpg
    Closed off lead pipe.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Closed off lead pipe 1.jpg
    Closed off lead pipe 1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 39
It's hard to tell from that. I suggest you turn off the stopcock outside (speak to your neighbour first!) and see if water still flows from your cold taps (and if so, which ones). That will answer your question fully.

why are there 2 lead pipes in the kitchen?

Possibly one went off to feed the bathroom, and one the kitchen. Or one went upstairs and the other was teed off it to feed downstairs. Or could have been the pipe coming down from the cold water tank. Could even be the relic of an old gas pipe.

Thanks Masood, that makes sense. I will have to check under floorboards to see where mains water is coming from but that's a big job.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks plumben, I understand how the system works as in the picture but can you tell me why do I get lots of noises/sound of filling in tanks etc... when running only kitchen mains cold water?

I was concerned that would be the case. Does that mean we're drinking water from the cold water tank? is it safe? especially for a pregnant woman!

What would be the solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Closed off second lead pipe in kitchen in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock