Discuss Cistern not refilling need help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

polkadot

Hi guys, another plumbing related problem for me I'm afraid which was probably caused when fixing the last one!!! :(

Our button flush toilet has stopped refilling after flush. There is a small spray of water coming from what I think is the fill valve but the cistern remains empty. It flushes fine when filled with a bowl of water but then doesn't refill.

The water was turned off a couple of weeks ago to work on the taps and I'm wondering if it could have dislodged some debris which is now blocking the valve. Do you think this might be it? If so how do I take it apart to clean it?

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

Why not isolate the WC using the valve close-by, then disconnect the dead side of the valve.
Then open the valve to see if you get anything.

Al.

Fill valve is probably stuck. If you take the lid off you can usually get at the parts (isolate water supply first) and most of the nuts should be finger tight only. Check the washer and the float arm. If it's a cheapo valve it may be worn out so replace it with a Fluidmaster (they are about a tenner or so)

I take it has been working since you isolated for taps. Your flush valve may be sticking and water still overflows into pan, common fault. You have to investigate why no water is getting to cistern. When you isolated water did you turn off an isolating valve to the cistern? Is there an isolating valve to cistern, if so could be stuck and needs replaced? Is your float valve knackered? You need to check these.
Cheers
Jack
PS ditto for WHPES

Last edited:
Thanks guys. There is no isolation valve so would I have to turn off the water at the stopcock?

How do I disconnect the 'dead side' of the valve (I am not very knowledgable in this area as you can probably tell, only learnt what the fill valve was today on the net!!) The only thing that looks like it might budge is a very large plastic ridged nut.

Thanks

You will have to turn off at the stopcock. Undo the ringed nut as you describe and check all the parts inside to make sure they move freely. Some fill valves are equilibrium types which wear out.

Jack, the flush has been working fine since and until today so it's not a shut off valve.

I am thinking of just changing the whole fill valve as suggested but may be a bit beyond my talents haha!

There is a spray of water going into the cistern but I went away and came back hours later and the cistern had not filled at all as you would expect (albeit very slowly), I can't see where the bit of water that's going in is going? Doesn't look like it's going into the bowl...

OK thanks guys, you can reply faster than I type so my responses are a bit behind! Off to have a look.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you fit the Fluidmaster as WHPES suggested. While you have the water off why not fit an isolation valve, won't cost much and would make life a lot easier in the future.
Cheers
Jack
PS Are you losing water from the cistern? Is there a warning pipe (overflow pipe) going outside?

Last edited:
No nothing from the overflow, I've checked. Wondering where the water is going? Could the problem be something else?

Is it a close coupled cistern? Is the cistern cracked? Have the rubber seals that hold the securing screws fails? Check around the cistern and pan for evidence of any leaks.
Cheers
Jack

Sorry to sound daft, I don't even know what a close coupled cistern is, it is attached right on top of the pan, is that it?

Seems to be no cracks or leaks :confused:

Can i just ask, how is the water supposed to come out of the fill valve, I am guessing it shouldn't come out in a fine spray?

Right, just been having a poke about. I turned off the water and took out the fill valve part completely and gave it a clean and put it back in.

Turned the water back on and it filled up great! Flushed once and it didn't fill up again just a fine spray coming out. So looks like the fill valve is sticking as suggested?

All fixed now with a shiny new Fluidmaster fill valve, thanks for your help guys :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cistern not refilling need help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock