Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on quotes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bearsparko

Hi, this is my first post and I just need a bit of advice about pricing for a job I need carrying out.

We have just moved into a 4 bed detached house which needs completely renovating. We have done a house from top to bottom before and are up for most jobs. This house is the house that we want to stay in so we want to make a good job of it and get it right.

The first job which needs to be done is the heating system. Water pressure is great at al times of the day, so the system we want is a system boiler with an unvented hot water cylinder.

I know everyone has different opinion on boiler makes, but we would like a Veissmann 200 with a 250L Twin Coil tank. The Twin Coil tank is necessary as in the future we want solar panels, but we can't afford them at the moment. I rekon for £1000 I should get a tank.

All the pipework and rads are in the process of being replaced, so I only need the tank and the boiler fitted with all the usual flue, vents, overflows etc. The system will have to be pressure tested, and I also need tails undet the boiler with valves for underfloor heating which will be connect later on in the year. The boiler should have weather compensation as well. The boiler and tank will be in our utility room which has loads of space so access is very good. Electricity points are already in position and there is an external wall so running all the overflows etc isn't a drama.

I have had 2 quotes for this work so far and I am concerned that I have totally misjudged the complexity and amount of work that fitting this type of tank and boiler is. One quote was £5200 and one was £5400? Are these prices real? At these prices I think that there's nearly a 50/50 split between Parts and Labour. This seems to me to be crazy expensive. the 2 quotes come from Viessmann approved fitters as I wanted to get the 5yrs guarantee (for this sort on money I want a 25yr guarantee)

Can anyone put me straight on this, are these prices correct?

Many thanks, Marco

p.s. Sorry the post is so long.....details.

I'd go for a 300 litre tank if you want solar and have a 4 bed house :)
For my area that would be a bit expensive, but if in a big southern city, wouldn't know where the prices could end. ;)

Seem a bit OTT, i dont do unvented myself but that definately seems 1k ott, maybe even more.

Thanks. What I would like to know is how long will it take to fit the tank and boiler? I asked one of the guys who quotes and he said 2 blokes 4 days? 8 man days. When I questioned him he said every job takes about a week, if its a smaller job its just 1 man for the week and if its bigger he puts more guys on the job.

8 days work seems a bit high, but I don't know (or understand) all the complexities of the regulation and expansion vessel for the unvented tank, and setting up the weather compensation?

Would I maybe be better off with a good combi?

sound ott to me in london good weeks work for man and boy plus little bit of profit so total of 1500 plus matierials which im guessing around 2500 4 g cash try and get some smaller companies to quote ask around locally for reccomendations

you get tanks in the army lol:D

make sure the floor can hold the weight of 300ltr cylinder you may have to reinforce the floor to hold the weight when full

Last edited by a moderator:
Seem a bit OTT, i dont do unvented myself but that definately seems 1k ott, maybe even more.

I agree I do alot of work for big companies up and down the country the quote seems 1K over.

My advise is to get a third quote. If that comes in around the same amount you'll know the others are accurate. To be honest I don't know how anyone can give you an opinion on here without seeing the job.

Thanks for all the comments.

The tank will be on a ground floor concrete floor, so I'm not too worried about the weight, but I not sure that 300 litres isn't over the top? I don't want to tie up all the cash in water....

I'm getting a one-man-band over to have a look and give me a quote, hopefully it will be a bit more in the range that I have budgeted for.

I can't help thinking that the boiler scrappage scheme has screwed me up. Call me cynical but I'm sure that plumbers are being bombarded with requests for quotes at the moment, so an "unscrupulous" plumber may just throw a little on top and see if he gets a bite? And also as I'm not looking for the complete job with rads and pipework, maybe its not such an attractive proposition??

Whatever, I appreciate the comments. Many thanks.

youve gone for 2 accredited installers mate - you need this to get the 5 yr warranty, so me and you both know they are gonna be the more expensive qoutes.

impossible to give a qoute without a visit. but i know me and my boss would be happy with the 1500 steve quoted for labour - something that with no rads would take us max 3 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on quotes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock