Search the forum,

Discuss What does the term 'dead leg' mean re plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

easyt

Shower mixer fitting instructions states 'Pipework dead-legs should be kept to a minimum'. What does this mean ??

Easy T

a dead leg is a redundant length of pipework(usually when modifications are made) which is left in place and capped,or it could just be something which is no longer used ie acting deadleg.

Thanks PRS1. I suppose that makes sense. Can't think why it was specifically on the mixer instructions.

Easy T

Hmm!

A "dead leg" by definition has no circulation, so its a handy place for Legionella to breed.

And as shower heads are also a prime site for Legionella.

It is advised not to have any or at least keep them to a minimum.

They can also cause problems if they are full of air. The air is "compressable" so you can get a bounce back effect within the pipework which can play havoc with things like flow switches.

in sport it means you have been hit in the leg and it feels dead, in plumb its a length of pipe that goes nowhere

Ive had a dead leg all day, wont work, knee seems rusted up, hurts like hell, off to the docs tomorrow along with all the pensioners who missed their monday surgery

is this a wind up-
Thats were a secondry return or trace heating comes into play or even better still design it out if system. Just be poor desugn imho

is this a wind up-
Thats were a secondry return or trace heating comes into play or even better still design it out if system. Just be poor desugn imho

you on the booze prs? :) i had a couple but my leg hurts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes can u tell Old plumber get some down ye it will do wunders for that deadleg of urs had a few tins of the old wifebeater going for another now u mention it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What does the term 'dead leg' mean re plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock