Search the forum,

Discuss What does the term 'dead leg' mean re plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

easyt

Shower mixer fitting instructions states 'Pipework dead-legs should be kept to a minimum'. What does this mean ??

Easy T

a dead leg is a redundant length of pipework(usually when modifications are made) which is left in place and capped,or it could just be something which is no longer used ie acting deadleg.

Thanks PRS1. I suppose that makes sense. Can't think why it was specifically on the mixer instructions.

Easy T

Hmm!

A "dead leg" by definition has no circulation, so its a handy place for Legionella to breed.

And as shower heads are also a prime site for Legionella.

It is advised not to have any or at least keep them to a minimum.

They can also cause problems if they are full of air. The air is "compressable" so you can get a bounce back effect within the pipework which can play havoc with things like flow switches.

in sport it means you have been hit in the leg and it feels dead, in plumb its a length of pipe that goes nowhere

Ive had a dead leg all day, wont work, knee seems rusted up, hurts like hell, off to the docs tomorrow along with all the pensioners who missed their monday surgery

is this a wind up-
Thats were a secondry return or trace heating comes into play or even better still design it out if system. Just be poor desugn imho

is this a wind up-
Thats were a secondry return or trace heating comes into play or even better still design it out if system. Just be poor desugn imho

you on the booze prs? :) i had a couple but my leg hurts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes can u tell Old plumber get some down ye it will do wunders for that deadleg of urs had a few tins of the old wifebeater going for another now u mention it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What does the term 'dead leg' mean re plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

L
Hey everyone, I'll keep it short. Had our old system boiler replaced with a new Ideal system boiler set up. Then the problems began. First issue was the pump went faulty, so the pump was replaced. This then led to a new issue coming up where the central heating would work, but not the hot...
Replies
Views
Good morning, I recently had an extension, new bathroom and new en-suite fitted. Prior to the works the hot water worked. Now we have moved back we have no hot water. British gas came for 5 hours on saturday and replaced every single part of the boiler to do with the hot water as well as the...
Replies
Views
I have a 5 year old Ideal Logic 15 boiler that has been working alongside an old Grundfos pump possibly about 10years old. The boiler was recently (about 3 weeks ago) repaired and services by an Ideal technician. I had a plumber yesterday from Local Heros who came to fit a new Grundfos UPS3...
Replies
Views
P
Hi there, please help dont have a clue how to set this up. Ive recently installed a complete new central heating system in my house myself. The system is up and running and works okay but I feel it could work alot better if it were setup properly. Im not a plumber and really understand how parts...
Replies
Views
Hello, We have a pretty standard gravity fed system. Two cold water and one expansion tank in the loft and vented cylinder in the airing board airing cupboard on 1st floor. Pressure is terrible on both ground and first floor so we have a 4 bar pump that blasts both hot and cold water around...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock