Discuss water pressure? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

keith1967

can anyone tell me how i can test the pressure of my water, is it only possible by buying a £50 pressure gauge?

hi kieth
Monument Tools® Mains Water Pressure Test Gauge - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys
I hope this helps.
I made my own from a pressure gauge out of an old boiler and some fittings.
Regards
Mike

it has a three quarter bsp thread so fit onto a washing machine tap
Regards
Mike

Hi!

I use a monument type pressure gauge but I've also made a piece of pipe with a tee in it for a ball o flow valve with a handle on.

I have a couple of those flow gauge cups they gave away with combi boilers at one time.

So what I do, is connect up and turn on then read pressure gauge for standing pressure, then turn on ball o flow and run into cup until I get the flow I want, then I read the dynamic pressure and the flow.

Don't forget when fitting an appliance it's usually the dynamic or water running pressure that matters not the standing or no water running pressure. The difference can be considerable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im fitting a shower that needs min 2bar, what is the dynamic water pressure?

Hi Keith!

Showers are one of the things you do need to know the dynamic pressure and flow rate for. The MIra website probably has a fuller explanation about it. Triton once put out a video about fitting showers that was excellent, there might be something on there. Aqualisa also has some stuff on it.

In short to fit a shower you don't only need to know the dynamic water pressure for the shower but also the flow rate it requires.

It usually states say something like: "2 bar at a flow rate of 15 litres/m"

What that means is that you have got to show 2 bar pressure on the gauge whilst running off water at the rate of 15 litres per minute. In point you have got to measure two things at once. That is why I made the gizmo.

You can of course buy the real McCoy but beware it costs a shed full of cash.

The easiest thing to get of course is the copper pipe and fittings, its getting a combi cup or a flow measuring jug for a reasonable price that is hardest.

You can of course use a 1 pint milk bottle and a stop watch or even a kitchen measuring jug and a stop watch and just time how long it takes to fill and what the pressure is.

Buying the real equipment is a bit pricey if your only ever going to use it once for putting a shower in your house. And don't forget you usually only have to measure it once.

Incidentally measure it as close to the point you intend to put the shower in as possible. Don't rely on a kitchen sink or washing machine point measurement.

The difference between a downstairs and upstairs pressure can be quite a lot.

I usually pipe the job up and test from where the shower is going to be fitted.

All this is assuming your talking about an electric shower.

Err! A good tip, is that one of the first things a shower company checks if anything goes wrong with the shower is the pressure and flow rate. If they aren't within specs they can refuse to fix it.

Anyway, good fortune and hope this helps. Possibly some other guys on the website may have some other ways you can do the same thing.

shower is a thermostatic one, going through a combi,

actualy, its an all in 1 singing n dancing shower which comes with tray, glass cabin ,and plastic interior which has built in jets, shower head, seat and anti steam mirrors.... im also worried about the ease of fitting these and the long term problems that could occur. if there is a leak or breakdown would i have to take the whole thing apart? can i get spares?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to water pressure? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock