Discuss Tightening of taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Woody123

Hi all

Wonder if some one could help me. I have a set of taps that no matter what wont seem to tighten up? I have applied all the right washers in the right places and still doesn't tighten up. i am only hand tightening the back nuts as i can't get any tools in the get them any tighter. do i need a box spanner to tighten these up or should hand tight be suffiicent? Im getting peed off with it now and might just sit the tap in a bed of silicone. What would you's guys advise?
P.s f i do need a box spanner where would i find one of these to buy and what size would i need. it's a 1/2 inch tail.....

Cheers

If the basin spanner still doesn't tighten them to the point where they become immovable, you may wanna check the length of the taps tails (threaded bit). if these are irregular, you can get some top hat spacers to put under the basin prior to tightening.

Im sure theres a correct name for these top hat thingys but i'll leave that for someone else to provide

......Hi .........basin spanner and top hat washers should do the job

Cheers for the info everyone. Im sure it will come in useful.
Mike thanks for that link ive bought one of them back nut spanners as t looks exactly what i need.

Thanks again folks.

box spanners are available for standard basin/sink and bath taps. also available are 'fixatap' kits. available from plumbers merchants. they do different kits for stainless steel sinks, basins and baths. i use them for problem taps

sometimes you can tighten the nut so its hand tight but make sure the tap is out of position then when you have the nut tight hold the nut and twist the tap into position.sometimes it works worth trying if you havnt done so already .

I now use brass backnuts on all taps after getting a call back for a cracked plastic one (I probably overtighned it trying to get it solid) on a bath, the only trouble is the aforemenioned box spanner dosn't fit the 1/2 inch brass backnuts properly only the 3/4 inch. :mad:

Put a rubber o ring on before tightening the back nut with box spanner this even works for plastic nuts

I've fitted a new mixer tap to bathroom wash basin. I was maybe a bit too gentle tightening the back-nut and now having plumbed it all, I find the mixer can turn. Didn't want to take apart again, so bought an adjustable basin wrench. Whilst this reaches, because of the moulded recess underneath, there is not sufficient space for the spanner to locate. Any suggestions on how I might tighten it without having `un-plumb'.

Please register with us and start a new thread to receive an answer to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tightening of taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked...
Replies
Views
I’m looking to get some advice on how to remove a stubborn kitchen tap. The sink is ceramic and I’m very reluctant to take a grinder or any...
Replies
Views
T
Hi, I'm having a new bathroom installed and having issues getting the right bath/shower set up. Shower has to be over bath as no space for a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone - a mildly amusing situation! I am not plumber but have done few bits at home over the years. At the moment, myself with a few...
Replies
Views
My step-daughter bought a 50's end-terraced house at the start of the year, and found there was a leak from Mira bar shower that was coming...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock