Search the forum,

Discuss Issue with removing Kitchen tap from ceramic sink in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I’m looking to get some advice on how to remove a stubborn kitchen tap.

The sink is ceramic and I’m very reluctant to take a grinder or any power tool to the tap. The fixing plate is secured by a plastic nut. Not a brass nut. You can fit a box spanner over the plastic nut, but it doesn’t move. I have sprayed some WD-40 on the underside of the tap. But it does not loosen the plastic nut at all. Unfortunately there is no way of getting a multitool underneath the sink to cut out the tap from below.

Bearing in mind the sink is ceramic, I’m looking for some ideas on how to release the tap. Unfortunately I cannot take the sink out as it’s been stuck down with silicone. So any advice would be great. Thank you

Attachments

• DECE2555-69A1-405C-B01A-AD84E0E01992.jpeg
    DECE2555-69A1-405C-B01A-AD84E0E01992.jpeg
    343.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 0A1B6FF5-325A-4E6D-93A0-56423C9D5939.jpeg
    0A1B6FF5-325A-4E6D-93A0-56423C9D5939.jpeg
    388.7 KB · Views: 9
Put your box spanner on it then an appropriate sized box spanner/socket on the other end . Carry on until you are below the sink bowls and then you can get a long bar on the spanner’s for some leverage.
It will either undo the nut or the stud will wind out of the tap.

Or you could cut through the copper tails and the stud with a hacksaw blade, but this will be awkward and hard work.

Put your box spanner on it then an appropriate sized box spanner/socket on the other end . Carry on until you are below the sink bowls and then you can get a long bar on the spanner’s for some leverage.
It will either undo the nut or the stud will wind out of the tap.

Or you could cut through the copper tails and the stud with a hacksaw blade, but this will be awkward and hard work.
Thanks for the reply. I did double up on the box spanners to get the extra leverage. But what happens is the box spanner just slips off the nut and loses it grip. I’ve always been able to get the nut off or remove the threaded rod and nut together. Very frustrating

Have you tried a socket set and extension ?

Or worst comes to it heat it up with a heat gun

Have you tried a socket set and extension ?

Or worst comes to it heat it up with a heat gun
I haven’t used my socket set yet. Purely because the box spanner kept slipping off the nut. But I will give it a go. I did think about using heat. But if the plastic nut melts then it’s game over. I might wrap some tape around the plastic nut to bulk it out. This may stop the box spanner from slipping

Reply to Issue with removing Kitchen tap from ceramic sink in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I can’t get one cartridge to budge when trying to replace in a mixer tap. The hot side cartridge was tight but removed with wrench comfortably, but cold side is so tight Ive burred the nut on the cartridge. Any advice on how else to remove the cartridge without damaging the mixer tap is...
Replies
Views
I'm baffled how to access a ceramic valve in order to replace it on this quarter turn sink tap. Here's the tap... I can remove the arm... ...and unscrew the collar to lift it up a little... ...and unscrew the fixing plate that secures the tap to the sink... ...but I can't get to the...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced me to run some pipes outside the walls, so I put in stopcocks at the point where the new pipework joins the old Just In Case. I used copper pipe and...
Replies
Views
Hi, My Blanco Kitchen Tap Model Swift BM1420 is leaking. Please see attached photos for details of where water leaks from. What I've done so far. I replaced the cartridge. Leak persisted. Bought some replacement seals and tried to put in place of the old ones. Here's what I did next. Remove...
Replies
Views
Hello - I really need some solid advice. I recently purchased a home that has started having an awful smell coming from kitchen sink. I've cleaned multiple times, including p-pipe. Finally called a plumber & they said they will have to tear out the wall & lower the pipe where my kitchen piping...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock