Search the forum,

Discuss Replace floorstanding boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

geron

I want to replace a 30 year old Kingfisher RS50, preferably with another floorstanding boiler in the same location. There is an expensive Worcester Bosch which looks good, but plumbers I have spoken too seem reluctant to fit as it is expensive and they have no experience even though they are accredited by WB.

The alternative is a Glow Worm which can be fitted with a rear mounted flue, but of course does not have the 5 year warranty I would get from WB.

I would prefer to fit a boiler which would last and is easy to maintain. The alternative is to fit a cheaper boiler which I would expect to replace earler with another cheap boiler if necessary.

The existing system is gravity HW, so will need converting.

Any comments?

I would also be interested in locating installers in the Poole area.

Last edited by a moderator:
The floor standing potterton promax FSB 30HE is quite a nice unit and a fair bit cheaper than the worcester.

Wouldn't ever touch Potterton........ ever!

Crap build quality, crap customer service and expensive spares.

You get what you pay for. Go for a decent quality one - will work out cheaper and more reliable long term in the long run.

Look at Valliant

Last edited:
I fitted a promax last year with the 90 ltr unvented cylinder the customers well happy and it works out cheaper to run than a combi

I want to replace a 30 year old Kingfisher RS50, preferably with another floorstanding boiler in the same location. There is an expensive Worcester Bosch which looks good, but plumbers I have spoken too seem reluctant to fit as it is expensive and they have no experience even though they are accredited by WB.

The alternative is a Glow Worm which can be fitted with a rear mounted flue, but of course does not have the 5 year warranty I would get from WB.

I would prefer to fit a boiler which would last and is easy to maintain. The alternative is to fit a cheaper boiler which I would expect to replace earler with another cheap boiler if necessary.

The existing system is gravity HW, so will need converting.

Any comments?

I would also be interested in locating installers in the Poole area.
I like the WB fs range, it slides out on wheels for easy installation and servicing, cant see why the WB acredited installer doesnt want to fit it, correct me if iam wrong but internaly its the same as thier wall hung brothers.. also remember to get the 5yr warrenty the boiler will have to be fitted by a WB acredited installer.

I read that the Worcester Bosch FS boiler slides out for maintenance, but could not picture how it works. It sounds like there the possibility of this going wrong if it comes out every year for servicing.

What I would really like to do is to replace the heat exchanger on the old Potterton and go on for another few years. I believe replacements are still just about available. But this is likely to open up other problems and I am sure no-one would be willing to take on the job. Pity, as it has cost peanuts to run and service over its 30 year lifetime.

I read that the Worcester Bosch FS boiler slides out for maintenance, but could not picture how it works. It sounds like there the possibility of this going wrong if it comes out every year for servicing.

What I would really like to do is to replace the heat exchanger on the old Potterton and go on for another few years. I believe replacements are still just about available. But this is likely to open up other problems and I am sure no-one would be willing to take on the job. Pity, as it has cost peanuts to run and service over its 30 year lifetime.
Yeah I suppose the wheels might fall off like on one of those "clown" cars you get at the circus.

When you say reluctant to fit ,maybe it is a bit over kill for your requirements,presume happy with heating and hot water at present
you only have a 14.65 k.w boiler at present doing hot water and heating
Think property not to big maybe a nice small combi or system boiler would suit you better
You say you want to fit in existing space,a remeha would do that
That said ,you are the customer

It is a medium size 4 bed house with extra downstairs rooms so it is slightly underpowered at present, but adequate. I agree the WB FS is probably a bit overkill, but the only one they do in this range and it is supposed to be efficient over a wide range of outputs. The 2 WB installers I have spoken to so far have just never installed any of them.

I like the idea of a combi, but not the maintence, especially in a hard water area. Similarly I would like to get rid of as many of the loft tanks as possible, but am suspicious of the problems I would have with the old pipework in a sealed system as well as the issues that seem to arise with system bolers and pressure loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replace floorstanding boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock