Discuss Price for scrap metal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

philipcooepr

Recently just renovated a house and am now in process of clearing the back garden. I have slung there from the house a stainless steel bath, a cooker, a hot water cyclinder and a steel header water tank that was in loft. Are these worth scrapping in or should I just put them out for someone to collect.

if you can get it all done in one load take the lot. if not just do the cylinder and whatever else you can fit in. My old man took in 2 cookers a washing machine and dishwasher the other day and got £40 so probably worth it.

Stainless steel was fetching £900 a couple of week back and heavy copper £4500 so all non-ferrous metals are worth weighing in these days.

I was talking with my skip hire man and he said he knows a guy who was scrapping new copper tube at the scrap merchants and making a profit!

I asked where he bought it but he didn't say but it would have been nasty over seas stuff and scrapping at the merchant with the best price that day.

I think things are getting silly....:blush2:

as another member pointed out- metals like stainless steel, copper, brass & aluminium fetch a good price.
here in South Africa its very common for electricians & plumbers to collect all scrap metals & sort them according type.
we have lots of scrapyard & they have their rates posted outside-how much per kg they pay for each metal.
if you DONT seperate & sort it- they very conveniently pay you the lowest rate- that of ordinary metal/steel.

for us its worth the effort to collect it & sort it out & when we have a nice quantity- we take it to the scrapyard & you can earn a tidy sum of money from that.
only problem we have is that our scrapyards rob us- they dont show you the reading on the scale.

as another member pointed out- metals like stainless steel, copper, brass & aluminium fetch a good price.
here in South Africa its very common for electricians & plumbers to collect all scrap metals & sort them according type.
we have lots of scrapyard & they have their rates posted outside-how much per kg they pay for each metal.
if you DONT seperate & sort it- they very conveniently pay you the lowest rate- that of ordinary metal/steel.

for us its worth the effort to collect it & sort it out & when we have a nice quantity- we take it to the scrapyard & you can earn a tidy sum of money from that.
only problem we have is that our scrapyards rob us- they dont show you the reading on the scale.
Thanks for that advice that could be why my sometimes I do not get as much as what I was expecting I will have to watch the scale next time I am just too trusting?

At my local scrapy he's very trusting and will often ask me to read the scale for him. This merchant is right in the middle of town though and you should see the queue outside especially after dinner on a Friday afternoon, endless builders, plumbers and pikeys all with full loads.

The pikeys are scum though and will try and con your metal off you while you wait "oh I'll give you £200 for the lot, it will save you waiting". Some of the 'scrap' they bring is very very suspect, I'm sure one day I'll see a new kids tricycle with the kid still sat on it on the scales.

Thanks for that advice that could be why my sometimes I do not get as much as what I was expecting I will have to watch the scale next time I am just too trusting?

further to what ive said, the other thing that happens is that the scale is tampered with- so the reading starts at -something
ie-its set at a negative figure so that by the time it reaches 0-they are able to rob you of a certain amount.

then they show you the reading- as if its all fair & above board.

but from what Phil says, it seems there are decent scrap metal dealers in the UK & i dont think its a good idea to act clearly distrustingly towards them
i suppose you have to be discreet- weigh your stuff yourself BEFORE u take it to them- so that way u know if ur getting cheated or not.

well, worth a trip of 3 miles, worth doing, loads of mates just bin them! I'll tell them to start scrapping, really good idea. Thx for your reply

Everything is worth scrapping if you can store and scrapyard close bye

Just a quick question, does painted copper go in the 'clean copper' box? eg a length of copper with no fittings, brass or solder but just paint?

Or is it classed as brazing copper? I can never remember.

painted copper is clean copper i'd say, its only metals which effect it as the paint will just burn off when they melt it down anyway

Our scrap yard has the following categories

Clean copper - copper only - no solder or brass fittings but paint OK

Braziery copper - copper with soldered fittings, brass nuts for tap connectors etc

Cylinders - (with the immersion removed) - currently the same rate as braziery copper

Mixed brass - taps etc which may have plating and copper pipe attached and stainess screws inside etc

Clean brass - Brass only (tends to be brass castings)

Immersion elemtents, heating elements and pyro cable

PVC coated cable

Electric motors (entire)

Last edited:
Good point about the mixed and clean brass WHPES, in the past I've just chucked all the brass together.

Clean brass must be brass only - no chrome plate etc

just to ensure i dont get ripped off by the sharks running our scrap yards, i pound all the painted copper pipes with my 5 pound hammer as this is the quickest way i know of to remove most of the paint- then its clear that its clean copper pipe.

I'll give you a quid........to save you queueing :santa_cheesy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Price for scrap metal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A...
Replies
Views
Hi, I hope someone can help. I’m hoping this isn’t a permanent problem. We’ve converted a gravity vented hot water system, into an unvented...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated...
Replies
Views
I live in Azerbaijan and am looking to revamp the water system in my house. The first thing is that I don't have a water meter - probably a good...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock