Search the forum,

Discuss installing destratification pumps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WarrenLloyd

Hi...

Im hoping someone here would please be able to assist me in some way with regards to installinf destratification pumps onto my hot water chlorifiers?

iv got 2 horizontal chlorifiers and have been advised to install a destratification system onto both of them.

it was suggested to tap onto the drain valve which is at the bottom side in the centre on vessel and fit pump and circulate back into vessel onto , tapping off before the safety relief valve, the pumps would be on timers for about and hour or two in the evenings where useage is low

is this the right way to do it and what kind of precutions should i be takinf ie. using pressure reducing valves and regulations?

I made up and installed a "destratifcation" attachment to a cylinder back in the 70s in the hope that I had invented something saleable but no one was interested,

It aint easy fitting a propeller in to a cylinder with out a mud door

its just a circulating pump connected to the cylinder, to help avoid the temperature difference between top and bottom of tank.
in a standard domestic instalation its enough to connect it from hot out to cold in.
commercial cylinders generally have the extra tappings for it
failing both of the above a couple of essex flanges top and bottom with the pump in between.

good luck

shaun

its just a circulating pump connected to the cylinder, to help avoid the temperature difference between top and bottom of tank.
in a standard domestic instalation its enough to connect it from hot out to cold in.
commercial cylinders generally have the extra tappings for it
failing both of the above a couple of essex flanges top and bottom with the pump in between.

good luck

shaun
thanks for ur advice, its a commercial chlorifier about 1500L so i can just tap in ontop and bottom or vessel?
should a put a prv on pipe work and or a non return valve.....?
do u know the specifications/regulation/guidlines for such an install??
or where i might be able to find some?

kind regards
warren

Hi What is the aim? or problem you are fixing?
stratification of hot and cold water in my commercial chlorifier, its horizontal and is 1500L. the install was recommended after a water treatment company carried out a risk assesment for my building.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Was the risk associated with water temps at delivery points?

p.r.v or t.p.r.v. is not required as part of instalation for a destrat pump. it is required as part of the cylinder installation pipework and i would hope you allready have one installed!
remember all you are trying to do is move and mix the water in the chlorifier.
as you said tap in top and bottom of cylinder join the two tappings with a circulating pump and bob is your uncle.

purely out of interest, have you been asked to install it, or just being carefull ??

shaun

justlead, the destrat pump, has nothing to do with delivery temps, just the water stored in the cylinder, bigger cylinders have heat exchange coil higher up, so at some point inside the cylinder there is a larger volume of "bug happy" water. the bottom of the cylinder would be at cold mains in temp and the top would be hot, some where inbetween you'd find 200 litres at 35 degrees.
the destrat pump attempts to mix it all up and have a continuous "safe" temp of water throughout

shaun

Simplest way if there are no tappings would be to tee off the flow & return use 45's to assist flow direction & put a pump in between controlled by a t'stat at an approriate position .. put in at least a check valve or a motorised valve on same t'stat so you dont get a short circuit in normal use.. use a relay to make sure valve is open before pump comes on. That should stir it up and keep it from stratifying. Is there a spreader in the bottom of the cylinder if not and you can fit one it would help also.

hope this helps

Hi Thanks for your kind words, i am now clear on a remedy but not the complete question.

tgor, why would you need a stat, or motorized valve and relay
all the differential pressures involved require none of the above?

shaun

Shaun,

you would need some way to switch the pump when its required to stir the cyl... as WarrenLlyod wasn't really specific about the problem .. i.e. is the risk too high a temperature at the top of the tank (scalding risk) or too low at the bottom (liegionella etc risk) this would dictate the stat position. The differential will exist but likely not possible to use it without some control and doubtful if it would generate enough flow to stir up the whole tank. I suggested a motorised valve in order to ensure that the short circuit was closed when not in use .. this would need to be controlled by a stat & relay to ensure it did not close while the pump is on. maybe considered ott but thats what I would probably do in the stated circumstances.

fair point tgor, but the cylinder stat still controls the temp of water inside the cylinder. the destrat pump is just an addition to a perfectly normal working system.
some installation have the pump come controlled by a timer, most are left on 24/7

shaun

hi, im just trying to avoid cold pockets in the chlofifier and the risk of leginella risk at the bottom of the horizontal chlorifiers.

the cold feed comes on the bottom so just need to ensure that its mixer about at least once every 24hrs.

Thank you shaun.... ur advice has been helpful...

I was asked to put one in as to avoid the risk.

I thought it was called a calorifier since it added calorific value to the contents,,must be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to installing destratification pumps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock