Discuss Illegal installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure its an issue for gas safe is it? that's why you have to be qualified to install unvented systems. I would say it was unsafe to not have the heat cut out valve on it. although most people use them as part of the s plan any way, to have nothing on it is dangerous. what if the t&p valve failed? what did attract my attention was the state of the pipework!! its horrendous!
Phone another plumber up and make sure they have the unvented cylinder ticket.

Just bear in mind that Tradesmen are always disagreeing with each other, that’s the nature of the self employed. (an, they all want to be the Boss, emoticon)

Re the two port valve, there are plenty of people, who say unvented installation should always have it fitted,

And,

There are those who point out that the purpose of the two port valve, you appear to be referring to, is to prevent the boiler raising the temperature of the cylinder beyond approximately 100 degrees centigrade.

Now dependant on the make and model of the boiler, it may have a device(a fuse) within it that melts at about 95 degrees centigrade and completely shuts down the boiler, therefore some installations don’t need a two port valve to comply with the G3 regs.

Have you taken the trouble to explain your concerns to the original installer and the Gas Safe bloke?

Tim

just download mi,s for the cylinder and check the wiring to 2 port valve is as per mi's

OK - update. Had qualified unvented chap to my house - nice chap. As per most of the guys here told me that ok to use existing 2 port valve located next to boiler and omit fitting 2 port valve next to cylinder.

So he's happy with the layout even though it transpires that the installer wasn't qualified for unvented. The only problem is that he said that he can see that there is a wire to the cylinder stat which was in fact originally connected to the old cylinder, but what he can't say for 100% sure is whether the signal is going to the stat and that now I need an electrician to test it. Problem is that I've phoned a couple of electricians and they don't understand what they should be testing for.

Am I right in saying that all electrician needs to do is test that when controller is set to demand hot water that signal is sent to stat?

Test that the thermal overload is in series with the cylinder stat. Check that the cylinder stat does indeed close the 2 port valve.

Thanks Toddy. I shall pass these words of wisodom on to sparks until I find one who knows what I'm talking about. Is there such a thing as a central heating electrician?

i believe if y plan system on unvented cylinder you must only use a 3pv as one port is always open. you do need an extra 2 PV which is wired into the safetly cut out

Its an interesting one this, as the electricians are not registered to install unvented. It is the heating engineer who signs it off , if he does not know how it works we r scuppered !
I do all my own electrics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Illegal installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced...
Replies
Views
Looking for a gas safe engineer to complete a boiler and cylinder install in Ringwood BH24. There was a delay of approx 8 months from the install...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have two indirect water cylinders (Gledhill) connected to a gas boiler (Vaillant). The system is setup/programmed so that the tanks heat up...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock