Search the forum,

Discuss I need a replacement pump for my gas boiler, will this one do? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christophe

Hi,

It looks like the pump of my gas boiler has given up the ghost. I'm pretty sure it's the pump that is the problem because the boiler starts and stops after a few minutes - I believe because the pump isn't circulating the water around the house so the boiler cuts off automatically.

We had a plumber call over 2 or 3 times over the years. The solution has always been pretty much - take out the bleed screw of the pump, twiddle around with a screw driver at the screw inside, and then it would start working again.

But this time no joy trying that option. It doesn't turn at all.

Here is my pump I currently have:
IMG_1.jpg

I'm wondering if this alternative pump would suit my needs. I don't really have 300 - 400 euros for a new pump, which I believe is the going rate. Then I will hire my local plumber who should be able to fit it for me.

Anyway, I'm wondering if one of these alternative pumps would suit my needs. I have listed them in order of preference. I don't really have 300 - 400 euros for a new pump, which I believe is the going rate. Then I will hire my local plumber who should be able to fit it for me.

Annoyingly, I can't put links in my post, please put a forward slash in the place where I have written (fs)

www.ebay.ie(fs)itm(fs)281902575883?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

www.ebay.fr(fs)itm(fs)181634753150?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

www.ebay.ie(fs)itm(fs)360508273301?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I believe all the salient details on the label are the same as my current pump - 230V, 50Hz, Class F IP 44.

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Where are you ? as your talking about euros I take it your not in the UK, Law has changed here as to the type of pump that we can fit.

If you try and change that pump with those valves you'll get very wet. Get someone in, or check your home insurance small print.

Hi, thanks for the answer. I am living in Ireland. You think one of the pumps in my links above will replace my current, broken pump?

Hi, as per my message, no way I'd attempt it myself. But I'd like to get a matching pump and then the professional can do it.

What is your location ?? Sorry just seem where you are, need to have a chat with local plumber, not sure what your allowed to fit in southern Ireland

Last edited:
Hi, as per my message, no way I'd attempt it myself. But I'd like to get a matching pump and then the professional can do it.

So you'll end up paying 300 top 400 euros less the pump. So,you'll be no better off. Or am I misunderstanding something, besides you'll need new pump valves more than likely.

Christophe, I don't know the regs in Southern Ireland, but pumps are supposed to be A rated here, which are to save electric use. That said, there are B rated pumps still about for a fraction of the cost of A rated.
Problem is there are pumps about currently branded Tuscan and Polaris and other names which are not great IMO. A lot of these tend to look like Grundfoss pumps in colour. Some are green. They seem to be replicas. Avoid them if possible. I have just had a look through eBay and they are everywhere.
Your plumber should be able to advise you.

Last edited:
cant open the links maybe because they are eire ebay and its blocked here?
any domestic pumps is going to go in there

He's probably going to try and fit a pump himself if someone here tells him what cheap pump to buy.
With some of the tat available to buy, he is going to cost himself more money.

Last edited:
The first pump you suggest is made for a Ravenheat boiler and the third one for a Bosch boiler. So they may not be suitable for your boiler. The second one (CBS ) is an unknown brand. I suspect it is an oriental copy of a Grundfos, so of doubtful quality.

I can't make out if your pump is an HM 5-130 or HM 6-130. The difference is that "5" means a 5 metre head and "6" a 6 metre head. All three pumps you suggest are 6 metre heads, so they would also be unsuitable if you have a 5 metre head at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I need a replacement pump for my gas boiler, will this one do? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am hoping that this pump will work for an outdoor rain water shower that I am currently setting up outside on our balcony. I contacted the company to ask for advise on this but they haven't responded. If this won't work do any of you know if there is another pump that will work? Garden Pump...
Replies
Views
Hi, my ten plus year old Vaillant aqua plus boiler water pressure is low, however its not a conventional valve top open, I've purchased a key filling valve - below, unfortunately it doesn't fit the valve due to valve being previously opened with a flat screwdriver which has misshaped/worn out...
Replies
Views
Hi just joined the forum. Looking forward to getting some experienced opinions here. Really quite desperate to get 2nd opinions etc.... We have a house built in 1934. Our water inlet pipe was changed to the blue plastic about 2 years ago. We had a disconnected water softer when we moved in and...
Replies
Views
Hi all hope all is well I am 24 with a NVQ L1 & L2 in plumbing, I wanted to further my skills and become gas safe, I have started college and have completed all my theory and practical in class and I have hit a brick wall. I had someone that was gas registered and now has had something come up...
Replies
Views
In my loft I have 3 water tanks. A bigger black one, that I believe is the cold water overflow. A smaller black one, that I believe is the hot water flow, and a big brass tank that stores the hot water I heat. I'm thinking about getting a combi boiler, and I would like to know that if I do get a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock