Search the forum,

Discuss I am looking for help to complete my gas course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all hope all is well

I am 24 with a NVQ L1 & L2 in plumbing, I wanted to further my skills and become gas safe, I have started college and have completed all my theory and practical in class and I have hit a brick wall.
I had someone that was gas registered and now has had something come up and would no longer be able to help me complete the course, i am in need of 44 picture for the portfolio (decimation, servicing, commotion and install)

I’ve called companies and have been searching everywhere, even asked ppl local, family and friends to help and have had no luck ( I fully understand people have life’s to live, so The only way possible Is if someone could slide me in to them already doing work on a boiler and I fully understand people could help but they have bills and things to sort so they can stop their work to help me even if I am paying them for help)
I am not a quitter hence I have stumbled upon this forum and found a lot of chats interesting and also helpful
If not the help I’m grateful for guidance also general knowledge of where I could seek help.

I am fully aware bout companies hiring after getting qualified, I do have experience in plumbing and a little with boilers working beside a plumber before I thought of becoming gas regestered and that is also the person that is unable to further help me with my portfolio

I am based in the London area and am willing to travel

If you search this forum you'll find hundreds if not thousands of guys/girls in the same boat sadly. It's time consuming, risky and an insurance/H&S nightmare to train people. Beyond that you're extra competition for the company training you. With most trades its fairly straight forward but Gas Safe etc seem to have set out to make it hard with gas. The options seem to be:

1) Be persistent and get very lucky by pestering lots of plumbing firms.
2) Find a small company where the owner is looking to retire and buy them out on the basis they will also train you - a good option in my view.
3) Use one of the training providers who have links to firms set up to mentor. It normally costs you £1200 - 1500 but seems to be the most reliable way of completing your portfolio.

Thank for that much appreciated
Is a shame I did have it all sorted and this little miss hap happens to set me back the private college I attend they have helped me gather some photos, but again it’s only when jobs come they can help

Where would I be able to search of you know to find the small companies because right now that sounds like it has the most chance of not someone privately helping my to complete this course

Thank for that much appreciated
Is a shame I did have it all sorted and this little miss hap happens to set me back the private college I attend they have helped me gather some photos, but again it’s only when jobs come they can help

Where would I be able to search of you know to find the small companies because right now that sounds like it has the most chance of not someone privately helping my to complete this course

If you're targeting local pluming firms I'd do two things:
1) Go to one of the cheap flyer printing web sites and use a template to advertise yourself, stick a couple of photos of your work on it, write a bit of a blurb on you. Then get 100 printed (generally about £15-20). Speak nicely to your local plumbers/builders merchants and see if you can leave a small pile on each counter.
2) Write a concise, well presented, well laid out CV. Try to include the experience you already have from other jobs etc that you think may help a trades person (health and safety etc). Then write a covering letter explaining your situation, how much you're willing to work for (I'd say free or even pay a small amount). Then Google all the local firms you can find and post them copies.

Today more than ever a letter stands out, it shows you've taken more care. Then maybe a week later follow it up with a call, introduce yourself and ask if its a good time.

Reply to I am looking for help to complete my gas course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock