Search the forum,

Discuss How to make a hand-made timer for a boiler I can't upgrade? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scrub

Hi everyone,

I rent a flat with an old boiler which doesn't have a timer function - so I have to manually switch the heating on and off in the mornings and evenings. Very annoying.

The landlord won't pay to install a timer so I'm trying to design something that can turn the control knob mechanically at set times of the day.

The switch that turns the boiler function between 'hot water only' and 'hot water and heating' looks like this: http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/images/products/4267.jpg. Can anyone think of a mechanical device of some sort that could grip that switch and turn it about 40 degrees clockwise or anticlockwise at predefined times of the day??

Preferably this would be battery operated to avoid lots of mains leads running into the boiler cupboard.

I can't get to the boiler's mains lead to use a normal power socket timer as (1) it's fed straight into a wall and (2) I wouldn't get hot water if the boiler was completely off.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
Simon

it will be nearly impossible to do this mechanically, the easiest solution is to get a competant person to alter the wiring(ie divert it frim where it goes into the boiler to a timer and back again) i cant understand why you allow the landlord to ignore this reasonable request for him to sort this out, in this day and age to have a boiler hard wired in is simply unacceptable, and says a lot about our landlord, does he pay for an annual safety check on the gas appliances for you

Presumably you have a combi. What type is it. You may be able to get a plug in mechanical programmer for it.

welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

you could knock something up with some sticky back plastic, toilet roll tubes and some drinking straws.
but i wouldnt know any more than that. lol.

go for the re-wire, you will save what it cosrt within a year or so by the fuel savings and when you terminate your letting take it back as it was.

Thanks for the posts, guys.

It is a combi boiler - I'll check what type when I get back into the flat next week.

My landlord is the sort that won't do anything unless the law enforces it - as far as he's concerned, gets the same rent either way. He's out of the country most of the time and the letting agents are my point of contact. They're useless, and they won't do anything without his permission, so my hopes aren't high!

Wouldn't a timer on the mains connection turn the boiler completely off during the programmed down time, therefore no hot water? Ideally I'd have hot water all the time, but heating just in the mornings & evenings.

Thanks again,
Simon

Get the type of boiler or post up a picture of it and i'll let you know how to do it. A timer on the mains connection would be a PITA.

Thanks for the posts, guys.

It is a combi boiler - I'll check what type when I get back into the flat next week.

My landlord is the sort that won't do anything unless the law enforces it - as far as he's concerned, gets the same rent either way. He's out of the country most of the time and the letting agents are my point of contact. They're useless, and they won't do anything without his permission, so my hopes aren't high!

Wouldn't a timer on the mains connection turn the boiler completely off during the programmed down time, therefore no hot water? Ideally I'd have hot water all the time, but heating just in the mornings & evenings.

Thanks again,
Simon

just buy the timer yourself

as Tamz says, post the make and model of the boiler, you need a constant power supply to have water, but the heating supply is switched via the timer, if the boiler is hard wired it will take less than 1hr to alter the wiring to include a timer, the easiest way is to locate the timer next to the boiler, it only becomes a PITA when you want the timer away from the boiler, as you need to run/hide cables,

Hi guys, I've posted some pictures of the boiler. It's a Britony Combi by Chaffoteaux et Maury. If you've got any advince on timers I could install myself and remove before the tenancy is over, or some other way to control the central heating with a timer, please let me know! The switch between hot water and hot water with heating is on the bottom left of the unit.

Cheers,
Simon

IMG_0074.jpgIMG_0073.jpgIMG_0072.jpg

Not difficult to fit an external programmable room stat.
PM me if you want some info.

blod

Do you have a room thermostat on the wall, poss in the hall or lounge? If yes, it can easily be swapped for a programmable one, that will give you all the timings that your heart desires. This is a simple cheapie, from a reputable maker

Danfoss Randall TP4000 24 Hour Programmable Thermostat: Heating Controls Online

Failing that, a timer can be wired into the switch that you use to turn the heating on at present.

Is it the boiler or the cupboard that's leaning in the first pic?

Is it the boiler or the cupboard that's leaning in the first pic?

Should imagine it is the boiler,goes with the bit of garden hose to connect p/release pipework to boiler, corner of boiler sitting on electric socket and loose cable to boiler

heating time switch can be fitted but would not think easy task for diyer,could damage this aging boiler quite easily boiler

imho

If you've got a roomstat, swap it for a programable roomstat. Live & switched live, if a neutral on old stat blank off.
Then when you move swap it back.
Danfoss TP 5000si good & simple to use, other cheaper ones available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to make a hand-made timer for a boiler I can't upgrade? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock