Search the forum,

Discuss How long does it take you to do a bathroom? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know where you are coming from as i am still like that. A bit like if you want something done right do it yourself.
There are some good lads out there but they are thin on the ground. It takes a bit effort to find a good one but they are worth it IF you can find the right one.

Redsaw,

I thought surely no one does a bathroom like that anymore, but i didnt want to insult you. Looks like a american bathroom.

Its true, no one does it like you do, on the other hand

No Man is a island.

I agree with what you said about the suite prices £200 is just nuts and if somone wants you to fit it run a mile.

I think it comes down to who is your target market. I would much rather deal with a client who is talking Aqualisa,crosswater,duravit,matki,kudos. I know that i am dealing with quality products, i use quality materials and i do a quality job.

. I went to a job i done 6 years ago last night, it was bathroom , ensuite and cloakroom. It still looks great not 1 fault has emerged in that time. Although the new home owner wants a wetroom. im going to take pics of the old before i yank it out.

When you take on a £200 suite, its going to be a problem if not at time of install, in the near future is it worth putting you name to it. The client is not going to want you to smash out the soil pipe under the floor in order to get the waste pipe under the floor, thus your new pan is more than likely going to be 6 inches from the wall, it could be boxed or like i have seen on bodge jobs i have be called to look at i could wedge it out with a bit of batten. OMFG

Buy cheap, buy twice...... and that mean materials or labour

Thank you. 12 day job for the bathroom for me and builder (£150 each per day). Remove airing cupboard, repair walls and ceiling, decorate ceiling, door, frame, skirting, install HTR, corner bath, basin, WC, new lights, fan, remove old electrics, repair floor. There's always much more than just replacing a basin, wc and bath!

Hmm!

Yes done lots of high spec stuff myself.

But that is not the bulk of Plumbing work, you are talking niche market not mass market. And niche markets have always been good, if you can get the work. The problem is out of a major cities housing stock of say 10,00 houses about 8,000 will probably be HA or council.

And they usually want rock bottom prices.

By the sheer number of houses owned by HA's, landlords, council's and money available to them, that is probably the area most Plumbers will be working in and companies competing in. The private market has always been good if you can build the clientèle and that can take years.

Even the Pimlico Plumbers pick the plumb jobs.

Its not so much the rich niche market its more about competing and giving quality in the cheap end, where most companies will probably find themselves operating, in other words its mostly Primark not Harrods.

Must admit I did like high spec jobs, plenty of time with quality not quantity the operative word. The thing is, they are not the bread and butter work of most companies and the markets that the new guys will probably be going into. Its about how to survive in a low price competitive cut throat industry and still turn out quality work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. When trying to comply with standards i have found it difficult. Customers have no idea they exist and the fact that the average house / bathroom has insufficient room to form ducts and alike to accept soil, waste and hot , cold services, etc. Make it difficult / impossible to install to standards laid out in Approved document H. Have others experienced this dellema?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How long does it take you to do a bathroom? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down through slab and out through deadwork into a manhole. I will work out falls from manhole and set the height of the waste water system as required. For...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock