Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water too hot, changed element and thermostat in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

T

Tony H

hot water tank water too hot, i have replaced the thermostat and element but still the same issue. Th element is housed in a 4" section of pipe fed from the base of the tank to to top of the tank.
Any help appreciated.
Any advice welcome, Tony H

I think what you have is a "Willis" heater.
There are pages of discussion about it on this forum:

One of the comments I saw in that thread is about them overheating if the pipes are not sized correctly.
It seems a scheme popular in Ireland, but rarely anywhere else!

Could you just turn the thermostat set temperature down?

FD00186C-7496-4CD2-8792-07066E3F14F8.png

Your best bet is to install a pipestat on the heater outlet pipe and wire that in series with its own stat.
I advised that to someone who had increased all the pipework to 22MM and it seems to be working pretty well.

Last edited:
Meant to post this trend last year Tony, but better late than never.
Not mine, but this is used with solar pv to divert the output to a 3kw element on a vented 120L HW cylinder,
a pipestst is used to switch the element on/off and the immersion stat(s) are used in a supervisory role as the control stat ( a few tried) just couldnt/wouldnt give consistent switching, it would seem that these external immersions will only run at very high outlet temps even though I've never seen any complaints from the thousands of users.

The green line is the Ipower (export) switching in/out as the pipestat cuts in/out, the power is the scaleX10 (watts) Blue is the temperature at the cylinder bottom.
Yellow is the temperature at the cylinder middle.
Red is the temperature taken on the 22mm pipe from the immersion top.

Would also suggest installing a 2kw element if available as you can see that the outlet temperature falls by over 10C as the power output approaches 2kw or lower.

Attachments

• Willis Temps and IPower.png
    Willis Temps and IPower.png
    263.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Reply to Hot water too hot, changed element and thermostat in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank. I'm on well water and have a water softener and two whole house filters for my water. Three days ago I found my high pressure relief valve tripped...
Replies
Views
After some advice, i have recently had solar panels fitted and have an Eddi which uses the energy we generate to heat the cylinder using the immersion heater. Just wondering if there are any devices that can circulate the hot water in the cylinder so the immersion heater heats all the water...
Replies
Views
I have read of hot water cylinders being heated with a dual element immersion heater. The main principle being that a shorter element heats the top of the tank and then, subsequently, a longer element comes into play. With a bath/sink switch the longer element may be disabled. The topic of such...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock