Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water element repaired without checking pressure? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

J

Johnno1966

Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still not provided me with a receipt or an invoice despite requests).

The repair was done and there was hot water and central heating for 24 hours.

I informed the company that there was no hot water again, and they came out and said that actually they now needed to replace the Red Heating Expansion Vessel and sealed System Kit which they were going to charge me a further £120 on top of the £514 they charged to do the repair immediately on completion (I think my red tank is 8L). I wanted to do my own research on costings and they really tried to pressurise me in paying for the part there and2 then as they could do the repair today but if I didn't agree to do it today they would charge me for a whole new job and part. I refused and told them to leave.

My questions are:
1. is it feasible that after doing the repair on the element, wouldn't as a matter of course the pressure be checked? (especially as the tank is at eye level above the hot water cylinder?).
2. Can I request a refund (full/partial) as the fix only lasted a day?
3. What grounds could the company give for refusing to give a refund?

I urgently needed to have the repair done and didn't research prices - £514 is a lot for less than 60 minutes of work (Greater London) and a new part.

Any advice and guidance would be gratefully received.

For starters the immersion heater wouldn't have anything to do with the heating. I'm going to hazard a guess and say they re-pressurised your heating system and changed the immersion because the back up was broken.

Once the heating stopped working again after a couple of days your immersion should still have worked. The heating would stop because its lost its pressure again because of the faulty vessel. While testing the vessel probably would have been smart I'm guilty of not doing it on occasion (but i'm not charging huge call outs)

How much has it cost total and how much on each visit?

For starters the immersion heater wouldn't have anything to do with the heating.
To be fair some places in London have an electric thermal store for both HW and UFH, and I've known people (including on this forum) calling them their 'boiler'. It would be helpful if the OP could clarify if this is an all-electric system, or if there is a gas boiler somewhere.

Reply to Hot water element repaired without checking pressure? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
Johnno1966
J
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank. I'm on well water and have a water softener and two whole house filters for my water. Three days ago I found my high pressure relief valve tripped...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just a quick question. I have a log burner and a gas boiler on a dual fuel system (Central heating and Hot Water) either can do both. The hot water tank I believe is a closed system but is on the same level as the bath. Therefore as you might guess the water pressure at the bath even on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock