Search the forum,

Discuss help with a mixer shower problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

craigy3

Ok when i bought my house almost 3 years ago i fitted a thermostatic mixer shower

however i always had a problem where if i had the temp at say mid all preasure dropped

you had to have the temp on the shower up full and then have to turn down the tep on my combi boiler to have presure and a normal temp

however i was then told it might be the fact that i still have a storage tank in the loft and the difference in presure would be casuing it

so i removed the tank and now all feeds are mains presure

however the problem continued

so i then thought it might have been a faulty shower unit so replaced it with a new unit and still i get the problem

anyone know what could be causing this ?

I am a little confused are you now on a combi boiler and before you were on a system boiler. I ask because you've had tank removed from the loft. What system have you got

is it a mixer valve?? maybe you need to replace the shower cartridge.

I've had to fit a few recently that have had similar problems. either randomly stopping or water going hot then cold.

when i moved in i had a full central heating system fitted as it was electric heating

so i have a combi boiler but i still had the cold tank in the loft (thats the way the guy left it )

however that tank has recently been removed as i was told this might have been the cause for my problems with the shower due to the hot being mains presure but the cold not

however it wasnt the problem so i bought a new thermostatic mixer system to replace the one i had and still the problem persists

Ok, forget the old problem because it'll confuse the possible cause.

At the moment you have to turn the temp up fully on the shower so that you have a normal temperature shower?

This could be down to in equal pressure on the cold and hot entering the shower. The cold may be overpowering the hot.

You need to test the pressure of the water on the hot side and cold side and then if there is a big difference fit a prv.

ok

so how would i test the presure of both ?

also how come the presure is fine if the temp is regulated by the boiler water temp ?

also would i have been easier fitting a non thermostatic mixer shower ?

Last edited by a moderator:
You would need to know the dynamic pressure rather than the static pressure. I know its a bit rough but you can get a basic idea by putting your thumb over the oulet and running the hot, and then the cold.

A PRV often solves the problem.

Fitting a head with smaller holes sometimes is the easiest way to solve the problem if the issue is down to flow rates from the boiler.

Would not have made any difference fitting a non TMV shower, in fact it would probably be less satisfactory.
The thermostat on the mixer may not be set correctly.

Have you considered paying a professional to come in and have a look for you? Not wanting to be obstructive or rude but this is not a major issue and could be sorted out at relative little cost. Especially as this has been a problem for a while. It is going to continue to give you a headache until its sorted so let someone else have the hassle for you.

Have you considered paying a professional to come in and have a look for you? Not wanting to be obstructive or rude but this is not a major issue and could be sorted out at relative little cost. Especially as this has been a problem for a while. It is going to continue to give you a headache until its sorted so let someone else have the hassle for you.

i had a guy in to remove the tank and he had a look and it was him that said he thought it would be the shower unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to help with a mixer shower problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock