Discuss Help... advice urgently needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
British Gas recently condemned a combi boiler in a 1 bed house stating they could no longer get parts for it.
This resulted in a recognised Gas/heating engineer tasked with removing old boiler etc and installing a Baxi Platinum 28kw boiler etc.
The installer informed me that whilst 'topping up', the electric shower (which had been working perfectly) had 'popped'.It was now irrepairable.
The explanation given was that the pressure from the header tank to mains pressure is greater and popped 2 minutes after filling up.
I dont understand how this has happened.
Whos fault is this and who should bear the cost of repair/replacement ?

Your electric shower should have been connected to the cold water main, unless you had one the worked on low pressure, why did you have a header tank if you have always had a combi, Has for not getting parts for a boiler 10 years + is a old sales gimmick used by BG what make was your old boiler ?

Don,t have the information you require at moment but will try and get it.
On the face of it who do you believe should 'foot the bill' to replace the electric shower ? thanks.

Electric shower should have always been fitted to the water mains. Are you sure it isn't a shower with an integral pump?
If it's a fully electric shower ( one that heats water) then they can go pop at any time. This is not the installers fault.
If it had a pumped shower a bit like this https://www.mirashowers.co.uk/showers/power-showers/
Then it would go pop, if connected to the water main. The heating engineer fitting the replacement boiler should have checked, so would be his fault.
Did you have a hot water cylinder and seperate boiler before fitting this new combi boiler?

Electric shower should have always been fitted to the water mains. Are you sure it isn't a shower with an integral pump?
If it's a fully electric shower ( one that heats water) then they can go pop at any time. This is not the installers fault.
If it had a pumped shower a bit like this https://www.mirashowers.co.uk/showers/power-showers/
Then it would go pop, if connected to the water main. The heating engineer fitting the replacement boiler should have checked, so would be his fault.
Did you have a hot water cylinder and seperate boiler before fitting this new combi boiler?

OP says he had a combi ! condemned by BG , usual excuse cant get parts.

Gilly, we need to know more from you before we can advise further.

If what you mean by electric shower is what I'm thinking of (ie something that does not pump the water, but does heat it from cold as it runs through), I'm confused as to why it wasn't already on mains pressure, and why a boiler change would affect the pressure of the water the shower is fed from.

A few others have raised questions too...

Sounds like it is a Triton or Gainsboro and the PRD has popped out.
Couple of quid for the part or if you can be bothered taking the trap off the shower or bath you will probably find the old ball there and stick it back in.

Had an old prv disc type on a water heater pop off, just as I was kneeing down fought me right in the meat and two veg. Customer tried to blame me. Had not even touched it. Cheek of some people! Still makes me wince.

Hi guys thanks for contributions I am trying to get hold of the gas engineer to get a full explanation as soon as I do I will post . It was a typical electric shower fed off 10mm cable cold water feed over the bath.

Nope not his fault. Runs on mains

Update...
The previous system was boiler,tank and header tank in the loft.
All this was stripped out etc etc and the combi installed.
When the mains cold water supply was connected it was then that it blew the main unit in the shower.
I now fully understand how this has happened and accept that no blame can be attached to the installer.
Another learning curve AND having visited youtube I now know how to buy a replacement PRD for around £7.50 and how simple it will be to fit it if I ever need to do so in the future.
Many thanks to all those who took an interest in my dilemma Keep up the good work !

Just out of interest what was the make and model of your old boiler?

Just out of interest what was the make and model of your old boiler?
Sorry old boiler has gone but gas engineer said it was at least 15yrs old and was satisfied that he wouldnt have been able to get quality parts for it.
Job now completed and paid !!

next time call an independent gas techie, parts can nearly always be got hold of....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help... advice urgently needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, please could anyone help me with the following issue im having. I will start off with listing the scenario in case it helps. Boiler -...
Replies
Views
It was fitted with the boiler a Potterton Suprima 30L about 21 years ago. Two PCB's later and a new fan the boiler is working perfectly. However...
Replies
Views
We need an urgent advice, we have a gravity water system and we are in a middle of loft conversion. We are adding an en-suit in loft and prefer to...
Replies
Views
I could really do with some advice. Bit of back history, I have a trianco thorncliffe solid fuel room heater it has a back boiler, my dad put the...
Replies
Views
Hello. I need some urgent advice re water pressure in an unvented system. A few months back, I had my gravity fed system + boiler changed to an...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock