Discuss Garage Radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scottwood75

My friend is converting his garage into a games room and wants a radiator installed. Its going to be all insulated and plasterboarded with carpeting and a seal on the garage door.

I just have a few questions basically as I'm a bit inexperienced, so here goes;

1.) Firstly, can the radiator be taken off of a radiator on the other side of the wall, eg, the flow and return pipes coming up through a solid floor? this would be tee'd off and run sleeved through the wall to the flow and return of the new rad.

2.) what kind of sizing? I dont have a copy of BS5449 so I could only do so many heat loss calcs before I could continue. the way round it we saw, was to find a radiator, in this case we would be looking at getting a double panel convector from screwfix with a BTU of 7324. and then fitting a thermostatic valve for if the heat is to much. is that ok? or if not what should I be looking for?

3.) Will The boiler be able to cope with another radiator? especially a large one? I need to find out what one he has, hopefully tonight, also if its a sealed system or not. I know he has unvented hot water, the house is a 4 bedroom and the other rads all have thermostatic valves.

If anyone could just help a bit as to be honest this would be my second biggest job so far is iv only just passed my level 3 gola at a training center. Also any other tips would be appreciated for bits iv missed :)

Hi, If you are getting back to 15 mm before branching off and the pipe run are not long you will probable be ok. Good Luck

Hi, If you are getting back to 15 mm before branching off and the pipe run are not long you will probable be ok. Good Luck

Pipe from flow of the kitchen rad to the flow of garage rad would be about 300mm max, same with the return?

Running, it will be tee'ing off of 15mm to go through a wall and connect a new rad in 15mm

1. Yes.
2.Plenty of online calculators availiable.
3.I would have thought so,

1. Yes.
2.Plenty of online calculators available.
3.I would have thought so,

I was hoping that in BS5449 they might have the U value for a garage door in there. Also they dont take into consideration the temperature differences from the surrounding rooms, allowances for intermittant heating, stuff like that on the online calculators

The only thing I can think of is do it as a hallway or anything else with a design room temperature of 18C. But then again if it is to be used as an area for study or frequently used it needs a higher temp.

Then I wonder if im over complicating things though :confused:

I was hoping that in BS5449 they might have the U value for a garage door in there. Also they dont take into consideration the temperature differences from the surrounding rooms, allowances for intermittant heating, stuff like that on the online calculators

The only thing I can think of is do it as a hallway or anything else with a design room temperature of 18C. But then again if it is to be used as an area for study or frequently used it needs a higher temp.

Then I wonder if im over complicating things though :confused:
Guess the u value of the garage door, it cant be any worse than a single pane glass window, also if your going tobe doing this sort of thing regulary then buy the Domestic Heating Design Guide (avaliable from corgi direct website), takes into account heatloss into other rooms, and gives a loist of u values for every type of material you could imagine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess the u value of the garage door, it cant be any worse than a single pane glass window, also if your going to be doing this sort of thing regularly then buy the Domestic Heating Design Guide (available from corgi direct website), takes into account heat loss into other rooms, and gives a list of u values for every type of material you could imagine.

I was thinking that, the one with the metal frame single glass pane?

Thanks for the book info, that will be a great help for the future :)

The system will of course need rebalancing once your rad is fitted.

I didn't think that was necessary with trv's on all rads except the one with the room stat?

Yes it is, as you want all rads on at the same time. If you rely on TRVs and your system is out of balance what happens is one room heats up first and others do not start to warm up until the first room TRV shuts off.

Yes it is, as you want all rads on at the same time. If you rely on TRVs and your system is out of balance what happens is one room heats up first and others do not start to warm up until the first room TRV shuts off.

Cool, thanks :D

When you balance your system you need to do it with all the TRVs fully open and use the lockshields for balancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Garage Radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock