Discuss Frozen condensate pipes.... HOw many have you had recently? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

theanalyst

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
So with the recent arctic like weather, we've had a heap loads of frozen condensate pipes...

Making me realise how inadequately a lot of them have been routed on initial install and making me think twice about routing them myself bearing in mind I dont want them to freeze in the future...

How many have you had and whats your answer to preventing them from freezing?

I always try and route them internally if the option exists, but if not, Ive had quite a few where the gutters have filled with snow and ice, and the condensate, which was routed into the gutter also got backed up -> then froze up...

The only other alternative I could think of was a dedicated soakaway with vertical fall on the pipe to prevent freezing where another drain is not available?

We do refrigeration work on cold rooms and strap self regulating heat tape to the drain pipe connected to the drain pan of the evaporators which produces water during defrost but at -19 or so it would obviously freeze. this work very well but I don`t suppose this would be safe on a domestic instalation running down the side of the house. Would be ok at high level though and could be controlled with a frost stat. Just a thought:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Frozen condensate pipes.... HOw many have you had recently? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
I have read a few posts on here discussing sharing a washing machine stand pipe for the boiler condensate pipe and the risks of washing machine...
Replies
Views
Hello. In this recent cold snap my loft has been getting condensation droplets form on the bitumen membrane. I had previously installed lap vents...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Hope you’re all doing well. I had a new bathroom installed recently which involved new piping, and also capping off some redundant...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock