Discuss Flame Retention in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aberdeen89

I am a newly time served plumber and am away to sit several gas courses, while doing a bit of revision i came across flame retention in gas cookers, but am not 100% what this is or how it is prevented, if some one could tell me or send me a link that would help it would be much appreciated

Because natural gas has a low flame speed, a lot of burners have flame retention devices prevent the primary flame from lifting off the burner. Flame retention flames are created by a slower air/gas mixture to create smaller, more stable flames to continuously re-light the main flame as it tries to lift off the burner.

The gas is pushed through the narrower retention ports so produces a finer, more stable flame. This stablises the larger main burner port flame preventing it from lifting off.

Something along those lines, been a while since covered it.

as grayham said best way to see it is light your cooker and look at the burner you will see a large blue flame at the top and a smaller narrow flame right next the ring the small ring keeps the main flame lit, if it didnt have the retention ring the main fame would lift off and go out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flame Retention in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Hello all. I've just joined, was going to post in the new members forum, but the first site generated email sent me here... I am here, as have a...
Replies
Views
A couple of years ago, my mother moved house and paid an RGI to move her existing ca. 1981 Solaire New World cooker into her new house (there was...
Replies
Views
D
First time posting on here and I am after some help and advice on a project I have ongoing at home - a bit cheeky I know but as they say around...
Replies
Views
Back