Search the forum,

Discuss electrician with heating problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

madrid

I have a problem with the heating in a house I have just bought.It comprises a baxi barcelona boiler ,fully pumped system with an unvented ariston cylinder.It supplies 11 rads and a towel rail.the living room has 2 small long rads under the windows as does the master bedroom.There is an extension at the rear of the property which is the family room and this has a very big rad under the window(2 metres) .Problem is some of the rads only heat up luke warm and the big rad in the family room doesn't heat up at all now(was luke warm before ).I had a plumber mate of mine put trv's on a couple of days ago and the system was drained down at the time.Now the towel rail doesn't heat up and the big rad is freezing.I have since had a heating engineer round and he says it needs power flushing as a result of sludge and balancing after at cost of £500.I have just moved from scotland to bucks area and don't have anyone local i trust to give advice.If it needs flushing fine but don't want to get it done and find other remedial work required.Any advice would be much appreciated.

It could be sludged up, you try turning off all the rads that get hot and see if this forces the hot water round to the cold ones..this usualy works if it is an airlock.
It could also be the pump failing.

you could try a diffrent plumber its got an unvented cylinder so its not as easy sounds like sludge has got in the valves and stopping them opening when drained down

the only things that are guaranteed in life are death and taxes ,it could be numerous things the problem could be on the boiler or as above on the pump ,the list is endless , why not take the guys advice about flushing the system and tell him if it does not sort it out he doesnt get paid that is if he is agreeable

Thanks very much for ideas but i noticed the immersion was switched on permanently(it was tucked away out of sight),I switched it off and then ran a bath.I then turned on the hot water at the programmer and guess what ,2 hrs later and no hot water.

if you are not getting hot water try putting heating on also and observe boiler

Heating was on so i turned it off and the hot started to flow through tank .really weird though as towel rail in bathroom is now heating up.Also don't think hot water valve is working .i had to stick it on manual.

it might be the way its plumbed sometimes the bathroom rad can be on the same circuit as the cylinder, so you are down to a fault either on the programmer or the zone valve , cheapest option is to change sychron motor first for around a tenner from screw fix

thanks.managed to get the valve working and flow and return through heat exchanger are hot.it does seem that the bathroom rad is on with the hot water feed to the cylinder.

just bleed all the rads starting downstairs when system cold and recharge to 1 to 1.5 max, best left to normal weather ,just turn off all the rads that are hot upstairs and that should get the rads working down stairs if the rad is stone cold on the bottom you maybe looking at a powerflush

Sounds like a weak pump, I'd guess, have you checked the thermostat on the unvented cylinder, are there two thermostats??

Are both thermostats on the unvented cylinder at the right settings.
It would be a waste if the flush is done and the problem persist,well as an electrician, is ther any way of checking the pump or to check the pump setting??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to electrician with heating problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock