Search the forum,

Discuss Electrical or magnetic scale control in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know whether this topic has been raised previously on this forum - apologies if it has. I would be most interested to know if anyone has any practical experience with the electrical or magnetic devices that claim to prevent or control scale in water systems. As a chemist, I cannot understand how these devices can possibly work and, indeed, for many years I worked for a company manufacturing chemicals for scale control in industrial systems and we looked into this area in case it might pose a threat to our business but concluded that any perceived improvement in scale control using these devices was just chance or imagination. However, being an open minded chap, I would be very interested to know if anyone has seen definite evidence that they work. Also, I have recently moved into a hard water area and a simple device that would prevent scale without chemical addition would be most welcome.

Search function is your friend , Snake Oil springs to mind . ( Physics part of me loves - Mystic forces at work )

They can't soften water . Manufacturers claim a reduction in hardness by 2-3 degrees. But if you water is 20 degrees Clark then 17-18 is still hard.
as for the claims that it stays in suspension. For how long?
some installers swear by them when fitted close to a Combi boiler or electric shower.

Hi Cello your post is very intresting to us - can you pm me Centralheatking
I don't know whether this topic has been raised previously on this forum - apologies if it has. I would be most interested to know if anyone has any practical experience with the electrical or magnetic devices that claim to prevent or control scale in water systems. As a chemist, I cannot understand how these devices can possibly work and, indeed, for many years I worked for a company manufacturing chemicals for scale control in industrial systems and we looked into this area in case it might pose a threat to our business but concluded that any perceived improvement in scale control using these devices was just chance or imagination. However, being an open minded chap, I would be very interested to know if anyone has seen definite evidence that they work. Also, I have recently moved into a hard water area and a simple device that would prevent scale without chemical addition would be most welcome.

don't know the answer worked in a penthouse for a rich retired guy who designed all things electromagnetic and he certainly held the magnetic ones in contempt

Imo there are only two ways to enjoy soft water.
One is fit a proper water softener.
The other is move to Scotland.

had one in hampshire and it was a large magnet and the kettle stop furring up as soon as it went in and the combi never blocked again, so from personal experience they work.

I remember years ago the old British Gas sold thousands of the Hydroflow HS38 scale reducers.

It just used to clip on the cold water inlet pipe and plug in the mains (or boiler) which we all thought wouldn't work and was just a con. We then had over 2,000 old cylinders nationwide that needed to be replaced as they not only reduced scale, they broke down the existing scale which presented plenty of leaks!

I rang the Hydropath technical department years later so we could resell them but needed scientific proof of how they worked so we could put it on the leaflets. The units were tested at Portsmouth University (from memory) and cleared scale from all test rigs (completely) over time but they couldn't give us a cast iron scientific how. The other in-line magnetic scale reducers on average got rid of about 30% but the Hydroflows were the best ones for fitting and cleared everything in it's path.

We gave up with the Sodium Hexametaphosphates (clear balls to us humans) as they just eventually broke down to a mush and blocked all the in-line filters (you remember, those big brass things that we used to take out and put in the scrap bag).

Remember, they were a scale reducer, not a water softener.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Electrical or magnetic scale control in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have recently moved into a property which has a Worcester Greenstar Highflow 440 Standalone Combi gas boiler. This appears to be a relatively old unit however, it is still in great working condition and has been serviced on a regular basis. I'd like to add a Nest Thermostat to control the...
Replies
Views
Hello All, New to the forum so apologies if do any faux pas. But I have an Aqalisa Electric Quartz Shower 9.5kw (8 years old) and currently it is only giving out cold water regardless of where the temperature control is placed, the only difference is the more you move to the dial to the cold...
Replies
Views
My heating system comprises an Ideal Logic 12 boiler located downstairs and a Gledhill OV SOL cylinder located upstairs . The problem is that when the Gledhill controls for the “hot water” and “central heading” are turned on the Ideal boiler makes a constant “clicking” noise and tries to start...
Replies
Views
We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW. It all works, but unfortunately we have found that the room stats are poorly located, and so the level of control is not what it should be. We had...
Replies
Views
D
Morning Everyone. I have an Ideal concord WRS 55. i know ! 40 something yrs old. The Honeywell stat and control board have mostly failed. no thermostat temp control or daily on/off timer only works on the 1 hr timer. no model No on either the stat unit or control board. can anyone tell me what...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock