Discuss Connecting To Old 3/4" Copper Pipe That's Smaller Than Usual in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I'm trying to connect 3/4" copper to 22mm copper in an old house. However it appears that the 3/4" is actually slightly smaller (measured at 21.1mm) than it normally is. This means I've been unable to use the special 3/4 to 22mm compression fittings as the olive is just too loose. Similarly, I have a 3/4 to 22mm solder fitting, but that's too loose to make a good solder joint as well.

Anybody come across this situation and have any tricks?

Thanks!

Use a expanding / hammer expander to 22mm etc

@ShaunCorbs - Yeah I'm thinking that I might need to expand it using a pipe expander / swaging tool. Think I'd need to heat-treat if first so it isn't as hard. Is that your experience?

@fowlerboi - Yeah I know. Thanks, but I explained in the questions why that wasn't working.

Reply to Connecting To Old 3/4" Copper Pipe That's Smaller Than Usual in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm a kitchen fitter first and foremost, so occasionally encounter old pipes of varying sizes. From past experience I know how easy it is to...
Replies
Views
Hi I've had to cut hot and cold feed to re route for bathroom feeds. The 22mm Copper pipe hot feed is slightly smaller then my 22mm Copper...
Replies
Views
Help needed for a DIY-er. I lifted my floorboard one night at 2am after a month of not knowing where my leak was coming from. I've numerous holes...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
D
I wonder if anyone can help, I've tried several plumbers merchants to no avail. I have removed an old stopcock, (which seized long ago, with a...
Replies
Views
Back