Search the forum,

Discuss Boiling hot water, little heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Connor Williams

Hello all,

I am having problems with a heating system, three of the rads will not heat up at all, I have bled them and the valves are letting through water okay.
The programmer will only fire the boiler when hot water is selected as well as heating, causing the hot water to be scalding and (I think) not allowing the water to be pumped downstairs to the 3 faulty rads, as the water is constantly circulating through the cylinder heat exchanger.

The cylinder has been boxed in, so I cant at the moment get access to the cylinder stat ( if there has even been one installed!)

The system is an old wall mounted boiler with a cylinder and header tank, and seems to be constantly hot water priority as the boiler will only fire when hot water is selected.

Is the best solution to renew the programmer and check the wiring,and also the cylinder stat for the hot water?

Of fit a gatevalve to the cylinder return and try and regulate the water,as the heating is being starved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, Connor

Could be so many varibles, not unusual for older systems, to have to have hot water on at clock before you can put heating on, may be down to system design or wiring of system, is hot water gravity, does it have motorised valves on heating and hot water, is it an electrical of mechanical stat on cylinder, does it have one?, pump could be on way out, could have blockage ect, ect
However nice system and problem it get stuck into for the inexperianced,you could learn a lot, get that cylinder pipework uncovered and check out the pipe runs, sketch out pipe work runs and control positons,so you can think out possible problem
And once you have system lay out, if needed we may be able to help more
One thought ,if its the rads that are playing up,why are you spending so more concern on hot water side,in may be related,if may not,investigate heating side more

Hello all,

I am having problems with a heating system, three of the rads will not heat up at all, I have bled them and the valves are letting through water okay.
The programmer will only fire the boiler when hot water is selected as well as heating, causing the hot water to be scalding and (I think) not allowing the water to be pumped downstairs to the 3 faulty rads, as the water is constantly circulating through the cylinder heat exchanger.

The cylinder has been boxed in, so I cant at the moment get access to the cylinder stat ( if there has even been one installed!)

The system is an old wall mounted boiler with a cylinder and header tank, and seems to be constantly hot water priority as the boiler will only fire when hot water is selected.

Is the best solution to renew the programmer and check the wiring,and also the cylinder stat for the hot water?

Of fit a gatevalve to the cylinder return and try and regulate the water,as the heating is being starved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, Connor
yes fit a balancing valve on return
when you fill it back up turn off other rads and cylinder and rebalance system

Thanks guys, the system is gravity fed and has one two port zone valve near the cylinder, hot water for the heating seems to be passing through it as the upstairs rads are fine.
The flow and return on the cylinder are red hot, I will remove the boxing, check the cylinder stat and trace the pipework, I do think a valve on the return pipe could be useful to help share the heat between the hot water and the heating.
If there is no cylinder stat fitted, then it is the boiler thermostat which is controlling the hot water!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiling hot water, little heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock