Search the forum,

Discuss Asbestos - Potterton Suprema 80L boiler.. We disturbed the white heat shield - help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

365drills

I own a Potterton Suprema 80L boiler

Installed up in the loft in 2002

http://www.*********.com/jpgs/boiler.jpg

It went wrong the other week.

Details of problem: Demand for heat, lights flicker, boiler kicks in, flame of pilot comes alive, boiler starts to ignite, splutters, resets, tries again, trips out.

Reset: Try again. Same problem.

Action: Called installer. He arrives on site as agreed.

Diagnosis: Opens the and cover pokes about then spots the problem straight away. On the left and right sides of the burner plate are two small white shields. About the size of a small a paperback book but not as thick.

On looking at the burner plate one of the shields (right hand side as you look at the boiler) has popped out of its runner and dropped onto the burner. This is preventing the burner from igniting.

Solution: "Oh this is easy" said the installer. "The head shield has popped off, so I am going to push it back into its runner". and then he says "Oh but got to be careful because its asbestos".

I look at him a bit worried. He seems slightly concerned as well. "Go and get me a water spray, a bucket of water, soap and cloth" I oblige and get up first with the water spray bottle and then turn to get the bucket.

Before I drop down the hatch way I see him spray the panel with water, lift it off the burner with bare hands then push it back into its runner. It doesnt go back easily. Its bowed so it resists.

As he pushes it into the runner the panel is scraping the edge and this may be my over active imagination but I think I saw dust coming off in the area where the runner was rubbing the panel.

He continues to spray it with the water as he does it. Its back in its socket and he turns round to me and then says "all done, dont worry about the bucket, soap and water, we got it".

So I am praying that the white shield is an asbestos substitute, and that if it was real asbestos that his water spraying sorted it. And finally if I do get the dreaded disease then it will take 30 years to show itself, I am 40. So it wont matter.

My question is: Am I right to be worried.

Re: Asbestos - Potterton Suprema 80L boiler.. We disturbed the white heat shield - he

The last of the asbestos was banned back in 1999 which was chrysotile, and even then it was rarely used, I would be surprised that a 2002 manufactured boiler would contain it, though as ive said before some of the asbestos contained materials gaskets, heatshields etc can and still are lying around in the back of store rooms!

Best bet is phone the manufacturer and ask if that particular model has ever been manufactured using asbestos heat shields (if manufactured prior to 1999) and that should put your mind at ease.

If it doesnt then phone up a local asbestos surveying company, it will cost about £50 for a surveyor to come take a sample and send it out for a lab report and should be able to be done within 2-3 days.

Its also worth pointing out that in the last year you have probably come into more contact with asbestos than the incident in your loft.

Also although there is no known safe exposure limit, the exposure (should the heat shield contain asebstos) would be negligable and wouldnt cause any concerns in respect of the control of asbestos regulations 2006.

In any case dont make the mistake most do by hoovering it up, the size of the asbestos particles are smaller than the filters/bags on your hoover and all it will do is send the fibres floating through the air even more!

Hope that helps, but i wouldnt worry!

Re: Asbestos - Potterton Suprema 80L boiler.. We disturbed the white heat shield - he

No pads used for any of the suprima range contained any asbestos
do,nt panic,but you are right to check
Hope it all operating correctly now

Whew!

Thanks for that. I had visions of a life cut short....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Asbestos - Potterton Suprema 80L boiler.. We disturbed the white heat shield - help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock