Search the forum,

Discuss Are you allowed to run a discharge pipe from a cylinder into a soil pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

uwantsome

as above, cheers

I'm pretty sure you are as the company I work for does it on site, but we run high temperature pipe to it straight from the soil and have a hepVo trap (one of the dry traps) connected to the tundish.

yes thats what i thought. Ive been running them in on site for ages now. Straight out of the unvented cylinder using a hepvo valve, into inch and a quarter push fit and then connected to a soil pipe. An old guy at my firm says you are not allowed to do this though, he's adamant of it

yes but you should only be doing it if there is no possible route to outside. As mentioned it needs to run throught a hepvo valve as detailed in its instructions and i think in the building regs.
You did need to ask LBC permission to route to waste but i think thats changed now. You also need to be able to prove the waste system can take the high temps from such systems.

well its site work so there is always a route to outside with copper. Most of the houses i do now are 3 story and the cylinders are on the top floor and that would mean taking a copper pipe through each floor and core drilling a hole, thats fine but when the soil pipe is about 4 metres away its easier and at less cost to connect it into a soil pipe. Also a neater job, i just hope what i have been doing is right

ask your local building control or the nhbc inspector. Normally cost should not be a factor in the way the discharge is run tbh.

the waste pipework needs to be of a material (normally pushfit) type capable of a working temp of above 100 degrees i think, have a read of part g.

if its on the drawings as youve fitted it then your covered and i would not worry.

cheers, yeah it is push fit and the nhbc guy has passed every single house I've done and the site wins awards. obviously the old guy is talking rubbish.

thanks for the replies

I wouldn't point it out to the NHBC inspector as they are now done. Just incase he did decide to make you change them based on it can go outside. If your 3 floors up with a soil stack 4 meters away its going in there every time.
would save a lot of money on materials and labour.

I've seen a soil pipe collapsed after heating water had been discharged into it, so it's not ideal to go to the stack but can be done.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361796805.246523.jpg
This is from a megaflow and runs strait into the soil stack next door.

Yes, it can go horizontal in other applications but when used for a discharge should be vertical. I'll dig out my G3 book to be sure.

From the Bpec manual: Hepvo "must be vertical and adjacent to the water unit"
The pipe should be polypropylene to BS5254 or BSEN1451.

That tundish contravenes regs as well. They've come out of the tundish straight to an elbow.

Yep. And the D2 doesn't comply either.

Why not mate? The middle pic isn't D2 by the way. It's a condense from the boiler above. Pic 3 shows D2 with a constant fall. I didn't instal this by the way. I just came across it today. Like to learn these things. Not questioning anyone.

Tundish is fitted right next to the double socket! These can splash if they discharge!!

Learning all the time. There are 65 of these fitted in a building we look after. ( we don't do the heating / cylinders by the way). They all get serviced every year. Wouldn't these changes need to be made on a service then? Maybe the regs were different when installed years ago.

Nobody's been blown up/burnt in ages so the regs seem to get ignored... that's life.

The G3 regs have always had the fall in the D2 from memory.

looks like abs pipe, and the discharge pipe should have a direct connection to the hepvo valve using a male iron imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are you allowed to run a discharge pipe from a cylinder into a soil pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I've not posted for a while, not a plumber, but a keen DIYer who likes to try and do things without bodging if I can. Basically I'm wanting to create a cloakroom toilet in our utility room, theres already hot and cold feed so thats one job made slightly easier, thankfully. The problem I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi , i'm new to this forum & would like some advice , i have an upstairs bathroom & was wondering if i could put a cloackroom loo downstairs , my worry is how do i connect to the existing soil pipe , or is it possible to dig under where the new loo will be in case the soil pipe runs along the...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, just want to get advice, i want to replace venten to unvented cylinder, is it ok to install D2 pipe to toilet waste pipe see picture? as there is no easy options to get it outside.
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm wondering if this is allowed or will work in the UK. We currently have all our waste water connecting to a single vented stack. The pipes from the toilets etc connect to the vertical stack via a horizontal pipe as you would expect. I'm about to renew all the soil pipes. We have 2 entry...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock