Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i return pipe cold, downstairs rads cold in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Had a bit of a nightmare with a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i system boiler, problem as follows:

Upstairs rads getting hot, downstairs rads still cold, return pipe into boiler also cold.

We've had a power flush, new fan in boiler, new pump, still the same problem. The first rad on the system upstairs gets boiling hot, flow pipe on first drop warm, not quite reaching rad, return cold. All other drops cold on both flow and return.

The downstairs rads aren't blocked, because opening the drain valve on the return of each drop, and the hot water does get into the rad.

The return pipe into the boiler is also cold, there's some kind of valve on this return pipe just above the boiler, is it worth getting rid of this, as I believe it's not needed and have been told it could be restricting the flow.

After the power flush, the downstairs rads worked for around a week, but now they're not getting hot again. I do a bit of plumbing work myself, and have put new TRVs and lockshields on the rads, but we've also had 4 plumbers out, and the problem still isn't resolved.

The only thing I can think it is, is a blockage on the return pipe somewhere, but is this even possible being that a full power flush has been done?

Any replies really appreciated!

Cheers

Is the, "some sort of valve " on the return a Y strainer and if so check mesh not blocked.

Thanks for the replies, to answer:

All pipe is 15mm to rads, 22mm flow and return from boiler.

The valve does appear to be y type valve yes.

The pump is on setting 3.

Shall I check the y valve, or just remove it and replace with a magnaclean?

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i return pipe cold, downstairs rads cold in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
Hi All Bit of an urgent one being that time of year and can't get a plumber out until after xmas even on an emergency callout I have just tried to turn on my CH for the first time this year as I have a number of guests coming for xmas dinner but even after an hour all the rads are stone...
Replies
Views
T
Hello, I have just moved in to a new flat this week and have a problem with noise coming from somewhere around the top of the boiler. It's a loud clicking/knocking sound that lasts about a minute, stops for 20-30 seconds and starts again. It seems to happen at night, starting in the evening...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock