Discuss What is usually done about a blocked toilet? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Smcart5

As i am about to litter my area with adverts for small jobs and repairs to try and get experience i have been made aware that a common problem is a blocked toilet, when my toilet is blocked i usually put on a rubber glove and push the blockage through with two fingers, its nasty and dirty but it does the job and the blockage is usually just in the pan and can't quite push through the trap so needs breaking up or a little help.

That is probably not ideal if i go to someone's house for a blocked toilet, i fear a draining rod may damage something if i try and shove it down a toilet, there are, i have been told, specifically designed rods for toilets but are quite expensive.

My question is, what do you guys usually do about a blocked toilet, i am expecting varied responses, if any and all input is welcome.

I tend not to deal with blocked toilets but if i'm stuck it's a mop inside a black bag lol.

If you're called out to a blocked toilet check the inspection chamber first. In my experience seven times out of ten it's backed up drains.
Otherwise the customer ran out of bog roll so used kitchen roll (that bounty is strong) or one of those over the rim toilet fresheners has fallen in.

Best thing to do is remove the soil pipe behind that tends to be the area that it blocks at. but you need to look carefully just because a wc is blocked does not mean its the culprit for the blockage. Lift up manhole cover look at the level. Look at the soil pipe for access. And look for the condensate on occassions this has been installed causing a unbrella effect.

If you are going to do this sort of work get yourself some good bailey rods, thick gloves,gauntlets, anti bacterial lotion a small jet wash machine a snake to attach & possibly some proper chemicals. And go to your doctor for your vaccinations, tetnus, hepatitis.

And before you go prodding your hand down anywhere be cautious and careful, needles are prevelant :( and never do it on a fixed price by the hour.

Plunge it, if that fails try throwing a bucket of water down at the same time as flushing to create more pressure......can obviously backfire though.

Check inspection chamber first. Mop in a plastic bag or mop out of plastic bag is usually best. You may have to take pan out in some cases or rod back from the inspection chamber toward the pan.

Dont you think that before you litter your local area with adverts you should have at least the basic understanding of what are the most basic plumbing problems before you are let loose on the paying customers
LET ME THINK??? FASTRACK GOD HELP THIS INDUSTRY:mad::mad::mad:

Hate to appear curmudgeonly but... what he ^ said.

You really need to get some experience before you expect people to pay for your services, not get paid to learn.
If you haven't a clue how to unblock a wc you must realise the course you paid for was worth nothing.

drain rod with 6 inch plunger.one hit useualy gone.unfortunetly for your prospective custermers that you have not been taught about basic plumbing.you would be better off finding a local jobbing plumber to work with ,so that you can learn as you go along.werewolf !! fast track ,no track,plumbing has been downgraded to a non trade,the future is actualy bleak for the plumbing industry. 6,8,10,26 week cources,100% pass rate.note the fault of those who wish to enter trade,but our own for resisting regulation over the years.

when my toilet is blocked i usually put on a rubber glove and push the blockage through with two fingers, its nasty and dirty but it does the job and the blockage is usually just in the pan and can't quite push through the trap so needs breaking up or a little help.
QUOTE]

Sounds good to me,but maybe you would look more professional,if you did away with the rubber glove

There is a special (and cheap) plunger designed to unblock toilets - I've found it often works with just one forceful plunge! You can get one from e.g. Toolbank - see www.toolbank.com | 1453E Suction Plunger 5.1/2in

It's basically a reinforced flat rubber disk fixed to a stout wooden handle, with a 'crutch-head' at the end of the handle to yank it with. It works on the suction stroke rather than the plunge stroke, and it can develop such a mighty pull that it'll shift most obstructions. You push it into the trap past the 'throat' - then pull!

I'd never dream of going out without one (on a plumbing job that is!).

The problem with anything like a plunger as the old hands will probably tell you. When you plunge the pan the contents usually squeeze around the plunger and spray all over you or the room your in. Whereas a good mop tends to seal to the shape of the pans outlet.

The thing is, don't forget if you haven't got a poly bag get one and you can wash the mop head out a few times by flushing the wc on it before you bag it up.

Done loads of jobs with a good old mop.

The proper way of course is to flush the toilet a few times and test with paper while inspecting its running away down the drain at the inspection chamber. Don't forget to take some disinfectant with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What is usually done about a blocked toilet? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock