Search the forum,

Discuss Water flow rate bathtub query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone just looking for some advice regarding water flow rate:
  • Live on 2nd floor flat
  • Boiler: Vokera Easi heat 25 combi boiler
  • Water supply: Incoming water for hot and cold water is via the mains water supply
  • Boiler on kitchen wall is about 10 metres from bathroom
Does this seems about right or normal as I filled a 10 litre bucket of water from the bathtub mixer tap:
Cold water from tap filled 10 litre bucket in 25 seconds
Hot water from tap filled 10 litre bucket in 60 seconds

I have a red gate valve (22mm) which supplies the water to the flat in a high cupboard, to reduce the cold water flow rate is it okay to turn it until the flow rate is lower or should it be left fully open?

I just want to know if the cold and hot water flow rates are normal and if it matters if I reduce the cold water flow rate by turning the red gate valve.

Any information would be really appreciated many thanks.:)

I have a red gate valve (22mm) which supplies the water to the flat in a high cupboard, to reduce the cold water flow rate is it okay to turn it until the flow rate is lower or should it be left fully open?
Is this your mains pressure cold water? If so:

I would leave it fully open. What harm would turning it down do though? Not a lot, might eventually wear the valve out, but we're talking years. Might also reduce your hot water flow rate as you are also supplying the boiler through that valve.

If you wanted to reduce the maximum pressure for some reason, a partially shut valve is not the best way; the best way would be a Pressure Reducing Valve.

Thank you so much for the replies, I will just leave the gate valve as it is. I just didn't know that the hot and cold water flow vary and it is normal for hot and cold to have different times when filling a bucket of water.

It depends upon the system, the flow rate is not different because one is hot and one is cold , please don’t think that.
In your system; the flow rate is slowed down by the boiler so that it can be heated sufficiently as it passes through on demand - this results inthe hot flow rate being less than the cold.

In a gravity system; both hot and cold are fed from the same tank, the hot is heated and stored for later use- both hot and cold will have the same flow rates.
There are other systems too, but you get the idea.

Reply to Water flow rate bathtub query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft but an unvented cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard. A gas heat only boiler. Upstairs I have two en suite rooms. One with a shower and one with...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone just checking if this is right regarding water pressure and combi boiler pressure: Do hot and cold water always vary in pressure such as the following? Cold water from tap filled 1 litre jug in 2 seconds Hot water from tap filled 1 litre jug in 5 seconds Gas combi boiler pressure...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I wonder if you can help me? I have intermittent hot water low flow from all taps in my 4 bedroom house upstairs and downstairs. I can sometimes recover the usual water pressure by turning the hot and cold water taps on and off which seems very strange to me. There is no problem...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock