Discuss Unvented cylinder discharge pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gromit

Hello all

I am currently having a system boiler and unvented indirect cylinder fitted. The access to the outside for the discharge pipe is difficult and involves lifting chipboard floors so the engineer wants to connect it to a soil stack (I think it's called) - the big pipe that the toilet is connected to. Is this ok?

Many thanks and advice is much appreciated.

As far as I am aware kirkgas the MI's for most cylinders and my own training state to comply with building reg. G3:
"ensure the discharge from any safety device is conveyed to where it is visible"

Ideally but not the only option is discharging between 70-100mm from ground into a drain.

Only if there is no other reasonable option alternative arrangements may be carried out for the discharge termination. In my opinion lifting a few boards would not be classed as a reason not to comply with the above.

bpec training notes say EITHER the tundish or the termination point MUST be visible

GrahamM has a point. If no-one knows that the regs have changed or altered and even the Cylinder MI does not include the fact that you can now dishcharge into a soil stack. Something is massively wrong with our training/systems etc etc.
Must admit I didn't know that you can now discharge UV into a soil stack with HEP2o stuff. Now I know why I must have lost a job a couple of weeks ago. You live and learn!

with all due respect to all those who are damn busy doing a fine job day in day out, but it is the duty of the responsible person for the company to ensure all working practices meet current standards, whether that is a massive construction company or self employed, the info is out there, it is the same with gas regs that change, it amazes me the number of guys coming in for re-assessment who dont know about FSD's for appliances in multi occupancy dwellings, and that has been out for yrs, the latest edition of unvented training has all this info in it, ok you trained 4yrs ago and are not due to come back till next yr but you may be working to the old standards and costing yourself time and money or actually losing a job by not knowing you can now do something sa different way, ie terminate unvented via the hep2o

before i got to page 2 i was saying to myself soil pipe not a problem tundish in a visible position will show discharge.

it is definitely perfectly acceptable to vent into the soil stack, new build townhouse apartments do it all the time!!
but you MUST incorporate a VISABLE/AUDABLE WARNING to indicate all is not well... this can take the form of an external vent pipe chucking water down the wall, or in your case, a correct-for-purpose tun dish built into the discharge pipework to provide this warning.
WRAS regs.

My home work from college week before last, was to learn the building regs g3 doc that we was given (this was the old doc) which I did; and this week we have been given the new building regs part g doc and have to find out whats new and whats changed .

Well take it to bed and have a read through it in fact read both, or would you like me to tell you so that you can get a good sleep?

Thank you all. In the event the joists went the right way and they have put the discharge externally without too much trouble. My brother in law works for the NHBC and one of his top guys didn't know the up to date rule about discharge pipes into stacks so it is clearly a complex subject.

what pipe and fittings was correct was it pushfit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented cylinder discharge pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock