Search the forum,

Discuss Thermostatic Mixer Shower from Woodburner Fed Cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHPES

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
The situation is thus: Customer has changed LPG boiler to a woodburner. Fancy shower set-up in bathroom.

Woodburner is obviously not set to heat the cylinder no higher than 65 degrees. Shower pump and mixer not designed to take water higher than 65 degrees. I need some device to mix the hot water with cold prior to going into the pump but most mixing valves are only rated up to 85 degrees and the cylinder could potentially get hotter.

One idea I have is to use one of those solar mixing valves which work up to 100 degrees. Can anyone recommend one or have any better ideas? I'm sure I'm not the first person to encounter this and I am also sure there must be things on the market to do what I want.

Thanks

Hi. You have got a problem. Coupled with the possibility of a fault over time with a complex to solution. Why not a standard mixer/blending valve and a cylinder stat wired to a audio alarm of some kind, set to work at 80c. After all it was the householder that choose the change. When you drop from Range Rover to Land Rover you find differences and have to live with them. Good Luck

Just been onto Reliance Water Controls and the nice lady there sorted me out. Apparently it's a common thing asked for these days and they recommend a Solar Tempering Valve for this situation. These work up to 99 degrees and reduce down to 65 degrees which is exactly what i need. They do work fine in the supply to a shower pump provided the supply is not restricted.

Sound good. Please give some feed back when up and running?

You need to be careful to get the right one as there's a number of different versions and some don't work under suction (i.e. if connected before a pump). The only downside is the price (at about £80), however the customer has plenty of dosh. They have developed them for the solar market and the eco friendly types with the fancy bathrooms, and she said they sell quite a lot of them to go in front of pumped mixer showers. They are not a substitute for a TMV and for bathtubs you should have a TMV as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermostatic Mixer Shower from Woodburner Fed Cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock