Search the forum,

Discuss Testing a capacitor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bunker

Can anyone advise me how to do this? Strangely Ive not replaced one before (plenty of motors). I know the microfarads rating is on the side of it but, and please excuse the question....wth is a farad? I know you test it on resistance but whats the procedure please?
Fank ooo.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to de energise it by putting a long screwdriver across it to a earth point. if you don't de energise it you could get a serious shock.

First discharge it as Rob has stated

Then put your multimeter across the pins setting it in the high ohm range 10k-1m

Should start at zero and then move toward infinity, if it doesn't the capacitor is knackered.

And then what Rob...?

Sorry thought it already been explained in previous posts. aye just decharge it and put multimeter on ohms scale if you get OL then its gubbed, if you get less than 10ohms it has a short circuit.

the ohms scale will tell you if you have short or open cct capacitor.
go to somewhere like maplins and buy a tester with the farad measuring scale.
most capacitors i test are from 10 to 60 micro farads.
they can carry a charge as stated above and store it for weeks so always be wary of the buggers.
set multimeter to farad scale, put both probes on the cap terminals, wait for the beep and check the readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Testing a capacitor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock