Search the forum,

Discuss System design ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sanke

Hi all
Got to go to look at a job tomorrow where I may have to design all the plumbing for both DHW & CH as the house has been completely stripped Have any of you got tips/links for designing complete systems ? :)
Thanks

come on steve your having a laugh ,just had look at your website,dont tell me you dont know what your doing

And your call yourself a plumbing and heating engineer. I have one tip, pass the work on to some worthy. GET A GRIP.

I have a tip, make sure you charge for the design because after you submit it, the
buyer will no doubt use it as a specification for other firms to price against,

Thanks for the constructive remarks, The system will have to incorporate underfloor heating, LPG, Geo thermal, Rainwater & grey water harvesting for a 5/6 bed house and a seperate system for an office building, So not the normal set up
I will as advised only reveal to my customer the total prices & generally what it includes. The design will remain in my possesion

Hi. I have found this publication very good for information on the type of situation you describe. [DLMURL="http://www.ciphe.org.uk/Professional/Publications/Plumbing-engineering-Services-Design-Guide/"]Plumbing Engineering Services Design Guide - CIPHE[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the constructive remarks, The system will have to incorporate underfloor heating, LPG, Geo thermal, Rainwater & grey water harvesting for a 5/6 bed house and a seperate system for an office building, So not the normal set up
I will as advised only reveal to my customer the total prices & generally what it includes. The design will remain in my possesion

As said if you do have to give details of design,would charge for it and tell them the price is deductable from the submited quotation,if works carried out by yourselves
On a system like you mention I sometimes say a third party is involved in the system design and therefore there is a charge

Thanks for the help guys I will look to buy the book from CIPHE

sounds like a nice large job. if your giving a written quote/estimate to anybody, be sure you know what your doing, just be very carefull. sometimes its better to employ a man for his knowledge and add yourself 10% to the clients bill. that way you wont get stung.
good luck

Shaun has it in one. Be careful providing a design. make sure that a disclaimer accompanies it..... there is liability here if someone relies on your info and it's wrong or you've missed one of the million regs. Your insurance needs to cover you for such eventualities also - this is a specific area of work.

One route is ask the client to get a chartered engineer to provide a design and the calculations, and you (and anyone else) can provide a price. Effectively their design & spec becomes the 'tender' document. Their architect should be able to get the ball rolling. They will already have the SAP which tells you a lot if you know where to look.

This route is more common practice than you would think on good jobs like the one you have described.

Make sure your control issues are covered between the different heat sources, that's your nightmare in waiting.

Hope it goes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to System design ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock